Eastern Rite Anglicanism, Has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Peteprint, May 4, 2013.

1. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
  2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    It seems to be a new initiative without much information. Anglicans can be a motley crew!

There are Eastern Rite Catholics and Western Rite Orthodox as you may know so perhaps it's not so strange as it first sounds.

There are some very good Use of Salisbury (Sarum) resources amongst others on this Western Rite Orthodox site:

http://www.allmercifulsavior.com/Liturgy/Liturgics.html

3. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Thank you Symphorian. Yes, I know about the Western Rite Orthodox and Eastern Rite Catholics, but this strikes me as kind of strange. I don't see any Orthodox parishes leaving to join the Anglican Communion, and the idea of current Anglicans adopting Orthodox liturgies, icons, and vestments really doesn't make any sense to me.

The Western Rite attracts those who want to be in communion with the Orthodox Church, but still retain Western practices, while the Eastern Rite Churches were Orthodox who went back to Rome, but these appear to be Anglicans who want to stay in the Communion but adopt Eastern forms of worship. Strange.... :)

Symphorian likes this.
  4. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    On reflection you may be right :) - some Anglicans can be strange like that! Perhaps it's some disaffected Priest/Bishop, although the website does say the organisation wants to create "an established Eastern Rite in the Anglican Communion." Perhaps they're using the word 'communion' in a very loose or incorrect way. Who knows...the website doesn't give much away. I've never come across anything like it before.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is strange, and interesting.

6. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I noticed that one of the posters on the Facebook site says that he was previously an Orthodox priest who was laicized for being gay. I wonder if this group could be trying to start a form of Orthodoxy that accepts gay and female clergy? Of course such a body would not be considered Orthodox by any of the Orthodox Churches.

A man named Justin Cannon seems to be one of the administrators of the group's Facebook page . I looked at his personal Facebook page and he is involved with a number of gay friendly groups, one of which is called "Pro-Gay Orthodox Christians." So it might be possible that the group is reaching out to gay Orthodox people, offering them a gay alternative in the Anglican Communion.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hmm...

I've visited Orthodox services a couple of times. I really like the Byzantine Rite. It is awe inspiring. I sort of think that we should leave it to you guys, though. You're the experts. :D

Peteprint likes this.
  8. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Oh, Lord!

Stalwart likes this.
  9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Diversity is the spice of life, I think it could be a great way build bridges with EO.

10. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    +1