Do Anglicans take Patron Saints?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by DixieDriver, Jan 17, 2022.

1. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Like the Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox do, where you take the saint’s name and celebrate their day every year like a birthday. It got me thinking since I’m going to be confirmed later this year, and I haven’t heard much talk about it.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Some Anglo-Catholics probably do. Bearing a saint's name is not at all common. What is more common is feeling some sort of affinity to Saints who were celebrated on particular days of significance in your sacramental life. For instance, my ordination to the priesthood occurred on the feast day of Blessed William Tyndale. It is a day I celebrate each year and remind my colleagues of, both those who shared in the day (there were 3 of us who were ordained that day) and those who participated in another year (the following year we ordained 2 more men on the feast day).

DixieDriver likes this.
  3. Matthew J Taylor

Matthew J Taylor Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Free Church of England
    Not particularly common to take a confirmation saint, but I celebrate St Matthew's Day anyway for fun.

DixieDriver likes this.
  4. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think your asking about something that is called 'Name Days'. There has been a thread on this previously )https://forums.anglican.net/threads/does-the-anglican-community-know-name-days.4343/).

I do not think it is specifically linked to a Christian Church. I know quite a lot of Roman Catholics and not one of them has ever mentioned to me anything to do with a name day. The only person I have known who celebrated a name day was a Greek-Cypriot (who belonged to an Eastern Orthodox church). The OP in the thread I link above is German. I think it is more cultural rather than religious.

Elmo, DixieDriver and Stalwart like this.
  5. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    That makes sense. I'm a bit back and forth on praying to saints myself so it's good that it's not such a "mandatory" thing in Anglicanism.

6. DixieDriver

DixieDriver Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACC)
    Thanks for the thread!

7. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Maybe, but I don't know anyone who has. Maybe they're just not saying.

DixieDriver likes this.
  8. Nevis

Nevis Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I good idea.
    But I would not celebrate it like a birthday.

9. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I lose things a lot so St. Anthony has been a good friend to me on more than one occasion.

I hear St. Expedite is the patron saint of procrastinators, so maybe I have a connection there.

10. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Most Catholics I know do have patron saints and some have a closer devotion to their confirmation saint. However, I personally don't know any Roman Catholics besides religious who celebrate saint name days like birthdays.

For those in religious orders who take a religious name the name day essentially takes the place of your birthday within the community. In my abbey we celebrate Patronal Feast days in a few ways; we get to pick one of the meals that day, we usually have ice cream and some other dessert at dinner (a rare occurrence in the majority of Abbeys), the homily for the day is focused on the saint, we get a blessing at the end of mass, and we have a special prayer at the end of vespers during the intercessions.

11. Nevis

Nevis Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    in Poland name days were even more important than birthdays