Dioceses not approving SSB

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by The Hackney Hub, Jul 26, 2012.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    http://standfirminfaith.com/?/sf/page/29194

Here's my tally so far. If you know of others, comment below. I put three dioceses below with a ~ which I used to mean that the position wasn't clear yet but it could be banned in that diocese.

Mississippi
    Alabama
    Florida
    Central Florida
    Western Louisiana
    Tennessee
    Albany
    South Carolina
    Springfield
    Northern Indiana
    Dallas

~Pittsburgh
    ~Southwest Florida
    ~South Dakota
    ~Georgia

Stalwart likes this.
  2. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Coastal South Carolina (Bishop Lawrence) has rejected SSB's. I don't know what has happened in the inland South Carolina diocese.

3. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I am pretty sure that the bishop of North Dakota strongly opposed SSBs at GC and I would think that it would be a safe bet to assume that he will not be allowing it in his diocese.

4. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Actually on StandFirm it looks like both Dakotas are opting out.

I wonder what Upper SC will do.

5. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    It looks like the Bishops/Dioceses of Fond du Lac and West Texas can be added to the list, they are on the Communion Partners list. Any word on Pittsburgh, Southwest Florida, or Georgia?

Only 2 churches in the diocese of Texas are authorized to perform SSBs, but the Bishop of Texas has left the door open to it....i'm pretty surprised by that.

I'm actually surprised by the number of dioceses refusing to allow SSBs, the list is at about 15 dioceses and growing. There are also a growing number of parishes opting out of performing SSBs. The resolution passed fairly easily, but there seems to be some apprehension among many dioceses and parishes putting it into practice.

TEC leadership needs to tread very softly on this issue, if they were to lose even just half of the above dioceses or memberships of those dioceses, it would be a crippling blow to a shrinking church.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  6. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

I think the fallout is just beginning. This is certainly a time for prayer. It will be interesting to see where things stand by the time the next GC comes around.

7. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I think +McConnell of Pittsburgh is going to hold discussions with clergy, etc. to form an opinion but until that point is moratorium there. I wouldn't be surprised if +McConnell voted against or if Pittsburgh eventually doesn't allow it.

Does anybody know how Northewestern PA and Eau Claire are going in this?

Sean611 likes this.
  8. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Updated list

Mississippi
    Alabama
    Florida
    Central Florida
    Western Louisiana
    Tennessee
    Albany
    South Carolina
    Springfield
    Northern Indiana
    Dallas
    North Dakota
    Fond Du Lac
    West Texas

~Pittsburgh
    ~Southwest Florida
    ~South Dakota
    ~Georgia

Adam Warlock likes this.
  9. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
  10. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE

The very liberal TEC has leadership has NOT instituted gay marriage, not even made blessings a part of the Church for all. The leadership has done what ACNA has done with regard women's ordination, allowed the bishops to decided for each diocese. This is the conservative position unless one considers this an issue of dogma which GAFCON and some do. They apparently have a different Quadrilateral than I have seen.

One of the most liberal things done was to allow parish priests to defy their bishops if the bishops choose to allow SSB.

One of the most critical criticisms of the leadership of TEC was putting too much power in the primate at the expense of the local bishops. Well, IMHO, in this case, the leadership put the power back in the bishops on this issue.

Sean611 and The Hackney Hub like this.
  11. The Hackney Hub

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Interesting perspective, mark1

12. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    The Diocese of Northern Indiana does not allow SSB. However, the Bishop sent out a pastoral letter which allows priests that are not opposed to SSB to perform them in another diocese that allows SSB, but those priests will have to get a licence from the other diocese in order to do so. This is because they will no longer be under the jurisdiction of the Northern Diocese of Indiana Bishop.