Dear Dr. Laura, Why can't I own Canadians?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Silvan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Dear Dr. Laura, Why can't I own Canadians?

Here is the full text of a satirical letter:

And:

More: http://www.stpaulsepiscopalbakersfield.org/uploads/6/6/9/0/6690860/a_letter_to_dr_laura.pdf

Did you know this text?
    And what do you think of it?

2. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Some quotes:

More: http://www.stpaulsepiscopalbakersfield.org/uploads/6/6/9/0/6690860/a_letter_to_dr_laura.pdf

3. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Did anyone know this text already, I wonder? :)

4. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Did anyone read this text?
    I think you should.
    It would do you good.

5. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    So somebody must have read this text

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican

VII. Of the Old Testament.

The Old Testament is not contrary to the New: for both in the Old and New Testament everlasting life is offered to Mankind by Christ, who is the only Mediator between God and Man, being both God and Man. Wherefore they are not to be heard, which feign that the old Fathers did look only for transitory promises. Although the Law given from God by Moses, as touching Ceremonies and Rites, do not bind Christian men, nor the Civil precepts thereof ought of necessity to be received in any commonwealth; yet notwithstanding, no Christian man whatsoever is free from the obedience of the Commandments which are called Moral.

XX. Of the Authority of the Church.
    The Church hath power to decree Rites or Ceremonies, and authority in Controversies of Faith: and yet it is not lawful for the Church to ordain any thing that is contrary to God's Word written, neither may it so expound one place of Scripture, that it be repugnant to another. Wherefore, although the Church be a witness and a keeper of Holy Writ, yet, as it ought not to decree any thing against the same, so besides the same ought it not to enforce any thing to be believed for necessity of Salvation.​

Yes, I have read the text, and I have read it previously. At one level it is intended to be lighthearted, though with a kick. It is a challenge to those who argue for an absolute fundamentalism where the answers are to find a verse and then tick it off. It also is a bit of a jab at a well known US radio presenter, who was fairly well known for a few moderately outrageous statements in regard to gay people, and also in relation to African Americans, including the 44th President.

The text was regularly quoted and not acknowledged here in Australia during the time of the great furor over the cancelation of the contract of Israel Folau who was being paid au$ 3 million to kick a football and posted anti gay comments on social media having been advised not to do so by his employer as it was in breach of their inclusiveness policies and would leave them open to charges under our anti discrimination legislation. I believe he is now playing football in Japan.

I think, one of the statement I was brought up on is still true, namely - A text out of context is a con! Now when we read in the Bible about selling your daughter off as a maidservant (Exodus 21:7) I am reading about a practice that is no longer acceptable in the social context of today. Of course one of the reasons for that is we no longer view women as property. Reading scripture without regard to the social and historical and political context is likely to be unbalanced, unhelpful or unhinged.

I was in a discussion about slavery recently, which I regard as a social evil, and I was shocked at how many felt slavery was quite OK, and saw the Bible as there great support in this. The fact of course is, although slavery is illegal in most jurisdictions in the world, there are more slaves tody than at any time in history.

The word Bible means Library or The Books and I think that is important. There are many facets to scripture and It would be odd if one was to regard everything of equal value to us. The first 18 verses of John's Gospel are heard very differently to the passage in Numbers 22:21-39.

Anyway, quite simply, you can not own a Canadian!

Shane R and Invictus like this.