Cradle Episcopalian

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Stuart, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Stuart

Stuart New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I was born in 1956 and in the Episcopal Church in large well off parish ( think lots of old money). I sang as a choir boy every Sunday at the 11:00 service until my voice changed. My mother was very anti-Catholic. She had to restrain herself and not give me an orange shirt to wear on to school on St. Patrick’s Day. So I must have been very young sitting in church one Sunday because as I said I was in the choir from when I could read. There must have been a guest preacher there that Sunday. Before he started his sermon he crossed himself. I asked my mom why did he do that. She said with such a tone of distance in her voice I can still hear it. “Oh Stuart, it’s so Catholic” So let’s jump ahead to the 1980’s and I’m married, a vestry member and a Verger in the same parish. God bless the BCP it is so calming and reassuring a I know Rite II by heart. So we’ll in fact that I can recite the prayers and make a to do list in my head. All of a sudden there is an usher at the end of by pew beckoning me to go receive communion. I realized I was not paying attention to the service at all. From that day on I tried to make it a point of crossing myself at the appropriate times during the liturgy to keep me focused and centered during the service. My mom’s ashes are in the Memorial Garden in the cemetery. So if hear the sound of ashes rustling on a Sunday morning don’t worry it’s just my mother because I have just crossed myself during the service in the church. I’m sorry this was so long. I look forward to reading through the forms. Happy Eastertide.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome! Where did you grow up. Maybe just a state or region will be adequate. I'm fascinated by prevailing church culture from region to region. The distinctives are usually most noticeable among Episcopalians and Lutherans.

Invictus likes this.
  3. Stuart

Stuart New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Hi Shane R. I grew up and still live in Fairfield County CT. Different ‘cultures’ in the Episcopal Church you say?:) You are aware that when two or more Episcopalians are gathered in His name there are two or more different ideas.:)

4. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Welcome.

5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
  6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  7. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome Stuart. Your story is amusing to me because I'm in a somewhat opposite boat. I'm a member of an Anglo-Catholic parish and I'm probably one of the few in the parish that don't cross themselves - not that I have any ideological reason not to, I just never formed the habit and don't see much of a point starting now. I'm glad to hear you have the confidence in your faith that you don't mind embracing practices that enrich your own experience despite how you might have been conditioned. A few people might be inspired by that!

8. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Very interesting. My wife was confirmed at a parish in MA by Bp. Douglas. I've been up your way twice and somehow have never been in RI.