Contraception and the Christian Church

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Truth, and Ethics' started by Old Christendom, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    This text is taken from Ecclesia Augustana, a Confessional Lutheran blog, but it's quite worth the read: Contraception and the Christian Church

MatthewOlson likes this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Great article OC. This is a "gray" area that only became gray in the last century. Confession time: I did not wait for marriage. And although I've only been with my wife, we were not married when we first "knew" each other (although Now I wish we'd waited). When I was a young man, I practiced "safe sex" because it was engrained in me that even virgins would more than likely be carrying a whole myriad of nasty STDs. But when I reconnected with my faith I felt convicted On this issue. My wife and I agreed to use natural methods of family planning from then on out and leave ourselves open to God to decide how fruitful we were.

3. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    God be praised! I am happy for you both.

4. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    What gets on my goat is when the Pope goes on about contraception stopping God from deciding when people can get pregnant.(His God must be pretty pathetic if our efforts can frustrate God's designs) .But the reverse is not true. He is prepared to take medical help to prevent God from deciding when he wants to take lives. Ok little rant over.

5. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    The article is not about the pope, Anglican Agnostic.

6. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Ooops sorry ,Yes must read thing more carefully:blush: