Common Worship book series in C of E

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Scottish Monk, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Evensong likes this.
  2. Evensong

Evensong New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Superfluous?

No disrespect intended, but the Book of Common Prayer was all we really needed. :)

3. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    It's better than 1979 BCP in my opinion but it's a bit much, there's somewhere around 6 or 7 volumes.

4. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I've not examined it in depth but CW 2000 is a vast resource which allows a great deal of choice and flexibility...perhaps too much. (For example there are 4 Holy Communion services and 8 Eucharistic Prayers). In some ways I prefer the BCP and the ASB 1980 as everything you need is contained in one volume. Churches here tend to put together their own order of service booklets rather than using specific volumes from the CW series. (Some clergy are not very good at compiling their own services from CW). In my Diocese the BCP is still frequently used for early Communions on Sundays and mid-week Communions - it's still fairly popular for Sunday Mattins and Evensong. I do however appreciate the seasonal variety and additional Offices found in the CW Daily Prayer volume.

5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Agreed with the above.