Cloverdale Psalter

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jan 3, 2020.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    The BCP 2019 has a reading of the Psalter in a month. It also says that the Cloverdale Psalter is numbered different than most are used to. Why is this?

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Did you mean Coverdale Psalter, the Psalter in BCP 1662? Much preferable text for poetic effect and singing, (though inaccurate in translation), to even the KJV, in my opinion. Better still than any modern translations.

3. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Yes the Coverdale.

4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I hear they took Coverdale with a grain of Psalt...

:halo:

Tiffy likes this.
  5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Yes I do too when it comes to pin point Hebrew to contemporary English translation but no modern translation can beat Coverdale for:
    "God is gone up with a merry noise : and the Lord with the sound of the trump".
    "The heathen make much ado, and the kingdoms are moved : but God hath shewed his voice, and the earth shall melt away."
    "He maketh wars to cease in all the world : He breaketh the bow, and knappeth the spear in sunder, and burneth the chariots in the fire."

The defects can be tolerated. One of the most glaring is Psalm 121:1.
    "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills : from whence comest my help."

His help NEVER came from the hills. That was exactly David's problem. He was standing in Jerusalem looking UP at the surrounding hills, thinking to himself, "We're stuffed, the enemy has all the high ground, who can help me now"? . . . . "My help cometh even from the Lord" : so who needs the high ground? We've got God."

But Coverdale didn't put a question mark after help, because Hebrew has no question marks. Thus we have the false statement that David's help came from the hills. Followed and immediately contradicted by the following verse, "My help cometh even from the Lord" : From whence David believed his help actually came.

Rexlion likes this.
  6. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Active Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Can I just ask a silly question? What exactly is a psalter? I have read that it is just the collection of all the psalms from the O.T. I have also read it is only the psalms attributed to David.

7. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    In the 2019 BCP they fix that problem with Psalms 121:1

Magistos likes this.
  8. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I'm enjoying this discussion and even learning about this psalter that I have been using. (I'm enjoying the ACNA 2019 BCP.)

But I must admit to a bit of dark humor. I saw Cloverdale and thought "Ah, the Yog-Sothoth translation."

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I know. But the poetic impact somehow isn't there now, in my opinion, (which may not count for much I admit), in spite of the literally improved accuracy.

Accuracy in translation is not necessarily, it sems to me, efficacy in spiritual impact.