Can us anglicans ask for intercession from Mary and the saints?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Gio, Jun 29, 2017.

1. PotterMcKinney

PotterMcKinney Active Member Typist Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    My criticism (I'm sorry I'm so critical! Welcome to the forum!) Is that Jesus states that not everybody who says "Lord, Lord" will be saved. So, many "Christians" will in fact not be saved, a sorry thought. But I agree with your general sentiment. There is the concern that certain methods of worship distract us from putting our full trust in God and Christ, which is all I raise, and only in theory.

Shane R and alphaomega like this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Obviously there's no enhancement here as heretical "prayer" is not prayer at all but something else friend

3. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I'd say in general, yes. I only ask that you address the saints not as people who can afford us graces and benefits, as many Roman Catholics do, but as examples of righteous living and radical trust in Jesus.

alphaomega likes this.
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Listen to your inner voice Gio

5. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    BTW, Cead Mile Failte Gio

6. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Thank you Aidan, and I honestly don't reall ask the saints for intercession as much as I do Mary, so yea

7. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    i have to say the only "un Anglican" thing I do is use the rosary and prayer candles, not to mention prayer candles(more formaly known as votive candles) are used in the Anglican Church, however the only difference is they don't have the picture or prayer on them.

8. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Any way, you all gave good opinions, I have come to my own conclusion, blessings to you all and may the lord be with you.

Aidan and PotterMcKinney like this.
  9. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    And also with you!

Aidan likes this.
  10. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Catholic ("Universal")church being all devout Christians.
    Q: What is the Church?
    A: The Church is the Body of which Jesus Christ is s the Head, and all baptized people are the members.
    Offices of Instructions BCP

11. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am referring to the 2nd part of that post. If we come to Him, live a life of repentance and holiness, that straight and narrow path leads us to heaven, more or less regardless of a person's denom. However it must be a life of repentance, holiness and transformation, not just merely calling oneself a Christian and living a life displeasing to God.

12. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think if you view these matters in the context of the Elizabethan Settlement you may find a more moderate view. The one thing that Anglicans are good at is not being all the same - indeed if all the Anglicans in the world were laid end to end they would still not reach a conclusion. Anglicanism is a Catholic Church whose members are theologically divers in opinion, from the adherents of the Old House of Lancaster, and adherents the House of York/Tudor, Cardinal Pole and ArchBishop Parker, and the intent and purpose is that we make room for one another, that each loyal citizen may be bound and true to Christ and Monarch.

So I do not believe that it is un-Anglican to say the Rosary. I do think it would be un-Anglican to compel people to say the Rosary, just as much as I believe it would be un-Anglican to ban the Rosary from being said. If a practice is helpful in your spiritual life (even though that may be only for a time) embrace the gift, and if you find it unhelpful (even though that may be only for a time) then let it go and look for what does help you.

This week in a meeting I stated that prayer is central to the Christian life. I was asked to confirm that was my opinion. I reflected for a moment and then said that I did not think it was my opinion, it was simply a matter of fact.

Let me hasten to add, like most of us I believe that there is always room to improve my prayer life.

Aidan, Gio, Shane R and 2 others like this.
  13. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    I worship god at a home made altar, which includes a rosary, a nuestra seño
    i Worship at my altar which includes a rosary, a candle bearing the image of nuestra señora de Guadalupe, my bible, a palm strand and a palm strand cross I revived from my Anglican Church on Palm Sunday, a wooden hand cross, a prayer journal, and that's pretty much it. What most anglicans who oppose veneration of saints miss is the the fact that the church recognizes our lady of weshlingham, a Marian apparition.

Aidan likes this.
  14. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    To me, Mary has always been a big part of my life, the rosary is a beautiful prayer and I feel close to the lord when I pray it. Our lady of guadalupe had a big influence on my life growing up, as I come from a Latino background, and I love her, she is like a 2nd mother. I'm not the only Anglican who believes Mary prays for us.Lancelot Andrewes, John Donne, and Jeremy Taylor were Anglicans who beilieved so, and Taylor even said he hoped that Mary's prayer would empower his sermon

alphaomega and Aidan like this.
  15. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Also, another thing I want to get off my chest, does the Anglican Church recognize the sacred heart of jesus? Wikipedia says so, but who believes in that.

16. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I take it you are referring the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham - and most anglicans I know are well aware of it. Numbers of AB's of C have visited the shrine over the years. Perhaps we should also remember that middle England celebrated May as Mary's month. We are a Church who understand much of our theology in the Incarnation, and it is hard to make much sense of the Incarnation without Mary, Mother of the Lord.

Aidan and alphaomega like this.
  17. Gio

Gio Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Anglican catholic
    Yes I am

18. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I second this question. I'd also like to know more about it, as I've heard it mentioned, but I'm not sure I understand.

19. PotterMcKinney

USA
    Religion:
    PECUSA
    I'm sure that all of the saints pray for us, as it's such a saintly thing to do!

alphaomega and Aidan like this.
  20. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

...All may, none must....
    That's the Anglican way or so I'm told.