Can aynone explian churches like this? (Tampa, FL)

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by floridaman1, Mar 10, 2021.

1. floridaman1

floridaman1 New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    There is an Anglican church near me, but I just don't understand the movement enough. I gather they are not part of the ACNA, or maybe even part of the "Continuing" movement, but I don't understand that movement enough. I asked them and they responded, but honestly, the response was kind of flowery and not with enough actual truth as to what happened with their parish and who they are in communion with, if anyone.
    https://resurrectiontampabay.org/

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was able to quickly track down some information for you. Bishop Donlon's name rang a bell so I searched him. He was an Episcopal priest who moved into AMiA when they started up. AMiA is a very small slice of the Anglican realignment. This movement includes GAFCON and ACNA and a couple of other sizable groups. AMiA is not currently a part of ACNA. They are known for being very much influenced by and involved with the Charismatic movement.

But Bishop Donlon seems to have moved into a sort of para church organization. It seems to be based out of Africa. That is what he is using as cover to claim a link to the global Anglican Communion (that portion of the church which maintains union with Canterbury). Usually, when you have to claim to be part of the Anglican Communion by some hazy relationship with an African church, you are not actually part of the Anglican Communion.

Proceed with caution.

Thomas Didymus and Stalwart like this.
  3. floridaman1

floridaman1 New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Thanks for the info. What they had told me was that they were part of a larger group, but then the "spirit" led them to leave that group too but that they were still in union with the Anglican Communion. It just all seems really odd, very smoke and mirrors.