Book(s) of Enoch

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by JayEhm, Mar 22, 2018.

1. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    Just wondering how the Book(s) of Enoch have been historically received by the Anglican Communion?

Yours in the Lord,

jay

2. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Since it is not in the Jewish canon, it is not accepted by any church I know of which the exception of two East African Orthodox churches

3. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    We must hope then that the two East African churches are wrong. They may think the Enoch is canonical as Jude 14&15 appears (maybe argually) to quote from this book.

4. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    I own a copy of The Books of Enoch containing the Ethiopic, Slavonic and Hebrew versions of Enoch as well as The Book of Fallen Angels, The Watchers and the Origins of Evil. The compiler offers commentary as well and it seems like many New Testament themes are carried over into the three books of Enoch or vise versa.

5. JayEhm

JayEhm Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Orthodox Protestant
    Interesting comparisons:

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. (Mat 5:5) The elect shall possess light, joy and peace, and they shall inherit the earth. (Enoch 5:7 {6:9})

the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the son (John 5:22). the principal part of the judgment was assigned to him, the Son of man. (Enoch 69:27 {68:39})

shall inherit everlasting life (Mat. 19:29) those who will inherit eternal life (Enoch 40:9 {40:9})

"Wo unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation. (Luke 6:24) Woe to you who are rich, for in your riches have you trusted; but from your riches you shall be removed. (Enoch 94:8 {93:7}).

Ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (Mat. 19:28) I will place each of them on a throne of glory (Enoch 108:12 {105:26})

Woe unto that man through whom the Son of man is betrayed! It had been good for that man if he had not been born. (Mat. 26:24) Where will the habitation of sinners be . . . who have rejected the Lord of spirits. It would have been better for them, had they never been born. (Enoch 38:2 {38:2})

between us and you there is a great gulf fixed. (Luke 16:26) by a chasm . . . [are] their souls are separated (Enoch 22: 9,11{22:10,12})

In my Father's house are many mansions (John 14:2) In that day shall the Elect One sit upon a throne of glory, and shall choose their conditions and countless habitations. (Enoch 45:3 {45:3})

that ye may be called the children of light (John 12:36) the good from the generation of light (Enoch 108:11 {105: 25})

the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. (John 4:14) all the thirsty drank, and were filled with wisdom, having their habitation with the righteous, the elect, and the holy. (Enoch 48:1 {48:1})