Book of Common Prayer

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Empty, Jan 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Empty

Empty Member

I know this may start a firestorm of response, but have a question on BCP. I see that there are several ones used by different churches in the communion.

Let me preface question with statement that I want to follow the Orthodoxy as promoted by this forum; no women priests, no gay priests, Pro Life, etc etc. So stumbling around on my own, I have gotten phone app based on the 1662 BCP. The 1928 American BCP seems to have a good reputation. The 1979 BCP seems to have a poor reputation.

So what, do y'all think? Is the 1662 or 1928 about the best ones for an American Anglican??? After pandemic is over I will have to wade into finding local Church which operates on traditional doctrine. Thanks for any comments/advice.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The 1979 was the first American edition to feature multiple rites for the principle services. It basically breaks down as traditional or contemporary language. But that was not the only change. The Rite II service can be formed into almost anything.

There is a web directory of parishes which use the 1928 book. In some places they are quite common and in other regions they are very rare. I'll look for the address later and link it here.

Empty likes this.
  3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The 1662 is the grand classic, the original. It’s what I use personally. In the American context the more used is the 1928 Prayerbook which was issued in America. They are both seen as equivalent in terms of being trustworthy and reliable. The 1662 is considered the standard of orthodoxy while the 1928 has more recent language and is extremely respected and widely used.

Empty likes this.
  4. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Empty likes this.
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I concur, though I would normally describe it as 1661/2, as it was in 1661 it was passed by the convocations of York and Canterbury, and in 1662 by the House of Commons.

Empty likes this.
  6. Moses

Moses Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    If you're American, the 1928 version is the one that has prayers for the President and US government rather than prayers for the British monarch. It also has the order for family prayer which is not in the 1662. The daily office is mostly the same in both books; just a few slight differences in translation, different lectionaries, and the 1662 has the Athanasian creed said on certain feast days while the 1928 American book omits it.

When it comes to the ordinal, holy communion, etc. I'd imagine the only way to pick one BCP over another is to see what your parish uses.

Empty likes this.
  7. Empty

Empty Member

Thanks all for such grand responses. Question answered!!

8. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Empty likes this.
  9. Empty

Empty Member

10. Shane R

USA
    Religion: