Being Received on Epiphany!

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Toma, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dear friends,

The local suffragan bishop has given the green light for my reception in the Anglican Church of Canada on January 6.
    I received my first Holy Communion in the Anglican Church yesterday morning, at mid-week service. It was at that time that the good rector gave me the news. Praise God. The hardest part - my own sin and unworthiness - has been overcome by our Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ.

Please pray for me, that despite being a totally unworthy sinner, I may serve God worthily through Christ.

2. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Your joining the ACoC? That is the Church I came out of, I am now with the Anglican Network in Canada. Why ACoC?

3. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This parish is a most remarkable one. Meeting the rector of the historic 1749 church, I was utterly overwhelmed. Above the "High Table", as he called it, was a set of small symbols carved into the wood, including a priestly garment, nails, flails, a rooster, and varied mystical pictures. The altar/table is against the wall, and "DO THIS IN REMEMBRANCE OF ME" is carved upon the front. Material for most of the Chancel was imported in 1750 from Boston & Maine. Every Sunday, the BCP takes precedence at 11 AM - the Alternative Services book being relegated to 9 AM worship.

The rector was very concerned that I had cut off my communion with Rome on this past Sunday of Christ the King, because he was fearful of a single Christian soul going without the Holy Eucharist for very long. Is that not beautiful and amazing? It was a most humbling concern that he showed for a total stranger. "Despite" being Evangelical in orientation, he made a point of reintroducing vestments (a business-suit-wearing rector came before him, apparently), and of celebrating the Eucharist more regularly.

I had no idea that an Anglican (especially "low church" - a term which I use sparingly) priest would be so concerned and loving. It is far beyond the usual treatment I have received from your typical priest of his generation in the Roman Communion. His personal concern for my soul, wellbeing, and frequent reception of the Lord's Body and Blood, was unexpected.

For the times our half-evangelical half-anglo catholic rector (i.e. wholly Anglican ;)) rector is away, there is a moderate Anglo-Catholic round church toward the north end of the city. Though I have fundamental problems with the ethics of this diocese, and I believe there is currently no diocesan bishop, the suffragan is valid and unquestionable. It has been a long and difficult journey over the past year, but I have placed my faith and trust in the Jesus, that the blessed Lord will lead me ever on the winding road to Himself in this beautiful Communion.

Stalwart likes this.
  4. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sorry, you posted this at the same time as my first reply - which was to the OP, not to you. :)

The ANiC consists of about 5-10 people in this diocese, meeting on the outskirts of the city. From the little I can find out, their rector is a man who just retired from the ACoC last year over the immoral actions of this very diocesan synod. I intended to join ANiC at first, but other circumstances in my life make it to be impracticable. Also, I am very much opposed to schism, and I believe there is hope for the ACoC. The two rectors I respect in the local ACoC diocese were ordained in Toronto and Ely, England. There is no question as to their validity, so I will stick to them while we wait out the chaos storm of this bishop.

May I ask why you left ACoC for ANiC?

5. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
  6. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    I l
    I left because I could not accept the decline in morality in the ACoC, and I cannot accept same-sex marriage or new-age practices. Also many priests in the ACoC see Jesus as "A Way" instead of "THE Way" and cause I felt the Holy Ghost calling me out

7. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    We are not schismatic, we are "Realigned"

Old Christendom likes this.
  8. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There is an ANiC parish, but as I said, it has only about 10 people.

I don't yet accept the need for realignment myself. It's my primary reason for going to the ACoC. So long as there is one valid bishop left who proclaims the holy gospel truly, he is my rallying point. If there is not one of them out of 37 bishops in Canada, then I will look to ANiC. I suppose I just try to live with that proverbial African patience. :)

The two rectors I have met certainly proclaim Jesus as The Way, and never one of many possibilities. We shall see, as time goes by. What can be done can be undone, for to God all things are possible, but I have hope. One reason to have hope for the old anglican institutions is simply that there are people working and fighting inside; just look at the C of E vote recently. If they can do it, I can get the courage to do it too. I refuse to leave this venerable old ship to sink.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  9. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Well I hope the best for you, and if you don't feel like staying, ANiC will be there for you

Toma likes this.
  10. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Will ANiC be there? That's the real question.

11. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    If they keep the faith, and trust in our Lord Jesus, then yes

12. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Actually, will the ACoC exist in 10 years?, is the better question?

13. Incense

Incense Active Member

Consular! It happened!!! Congratulation!! That is a happy day :D

Some cake to celebrate, with many cherries on top hehe!!
    [​IMG]

Stalwart likes this.
  14. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Thread moved to the Church and Community section. Congratulations, member Consular.

15. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My Christmas-feast ended yesterday! A perfect day for it, too! :p No cake, though... but I will have that revenge come Easter... :D At least the bread was leavened bread at Holy Communion, which was a beautiful experience of fullness and being-filled by Christ.

Thank you for the congratulations.

Oooh, that makes more sense. I appreciate it the congratulations! The parish welcomed me very warmly.

The Hackney Hub likes this.
  16. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Welcome to the Communion, brother.

Toma likes this.
  17. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you Hackney!

It certainly was a welcome. You could hear a pin drop in the crowded nave. Good old ladies who've seen it all; young children brought by their parents... everyone was utterly quiet for the Solemn Moment. The bishop stood, a true strong representative of Christ, and when he was seated upon the Throne there was electricity in the air. Kneeling, my head down, his hands on my head, was an unforgettable moment of peace. The Lord does not forget His children, after all.

When we (myself & another confirmand), and faced the parish, there was a thunderous greeting of warmth and love. This is truly a Communion with our Lord Jesus Christ. During the Lord's Supper, the cups which communicate the precious blood of Christ to us, were actually chalices brought over from England c. 1750, when the church was founded. Beautiful.

CatholicAnglican likes this.
  18. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Congratulations!

I was confirmed in the Episcopal Church, USA, in 1987. It was a wonderful service and experience.

God bless you as you continue on your journey!

CatholicAnglican and Toma like this.
  19. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Congratulations Consular!

I can still vividly remember my Confirmation even though it was 35 years ago. It's one of those awe inspiring moments that never leaves you. I'm attending a Confirmation in our Benefice in a couple of weeks time. I shall make a point of not sitting too near the font as our Bishop gets a bit overenthusiastic when it comes to the renewal of baptismal vows and everyone gets a good soaking. (Almost makes up for a non-immersion Baptism though:p)

Toma likes this.
  20. CatholicAnglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    Congratulations Consular

Toma likes this.