Bad theology on a christian life?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by CRfromQld, Jan 14, 2023.

1. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Why is church attendance / going to church important?
    Indeed I too would expect the priest at a funeral to speak as well as he could about the deceased for the consolation of the bereaved. A funeral is largely for the benefit of the living.

However in that case there would be no need to mention it the next day. Even if relatives were present a brief acknowledgement, a few seconds, would be sufficient. This was a 1:38 long which is quite significant considering Anglican sermons are usually about 10 minutes. He appeared to be commending the life of this man to the congregation even though he presented absolutely no evidence of this man having any Christian faith or witness.

I go to church regularly but not religiously. (Yes, that’s a pun.) In the New Testament the church is regarded as the body of Christ. Regular attendance is promoted, usually by implication but occasionally explicitly; Hebrews 10:25 “Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.”

Regular attendance is considered as a hallmark of being a Christian by most Christian thinkers through the ages.

Christian quotes about church

“Church attendance is as vital to a disciple as a transfusion of rich, healthy blood to a sick man.” Dwight L. Moody

“Though true Christianity uniquely involves a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, it is also a corporate experience…Christians cannot grow spiritually as they ought to in isolation from one another.”

“It must not content us to take our bodies to church if we leave our hearts at home.” J.C. Ryle

“To gather with God’s people in united adoration of the Father is as necessary to the Christian life as prayer.” – Martin Luther​

See also Why is church attendance / going to church important?

Simply put, the Bible tells us we need to attend church so we can worship God with other believers and be taught His Word for our spiritual growth. The early church “devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer” (Acts 2:42). We should follow that example of devotion—and to the same things. Back then, they had no designated church building, but “every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts” (Acts 2:46). Wherever the meeting takes place, believers thrive on fellowship with other believers and the teaching of God’s Word.​

Frankly I think those who say they are a Christian but never attend church are trying to fool themselves or others. They probably have a form of Christianity that would not sit well with what they hear in church.

Invictus likes this.
  2. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    For the record Invictus did quote me correctly but I decided to delete the original to make a longer response.

Invictus likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    More like I'm weed-whacking the tulips... :laugh:

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE