Authors, blog, podcasts

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Dave, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Good morning,
    I'm looking for recommendations for authors, blogs, podcasts for Anglican theology and daily life. I'm aware of NT Wright and Anglican Compass but am looking for someone that has a conservative bent without being Anglo-catholic or Calvinistic. Someone familiar with patristics would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Stalwart likes this.
  2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I can't think of any but I would be interested in them also. I don't mind Anglo Catholics but the Calvanists I find to be anti patrisitic and just plain wrong.

3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    These guys are quite conservative and traditional, at Anglican Unscripted, a long-running commentary on news of the day:
    https://anglican.ink/2020/09/04/anglican-unscripted-617-winnowing-the-church/

David Virtue is a legendary conservative Anglican journalist:
    https://virtueonline.org/

and these podcasts have a patristic bent:
    https://anglican.audio/

Thomas Didymus and bwallac2335 like this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You might enjoy this e-journal: https://northamanglican.com/

It's mostly ACNA voices but they do publish content from CANA and the Continuing churches.

Thomas Didymus and bwallac2335 like this.
  5. Moses

Moses Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    The Continuum blog isn't as active as it used to be, but the archives are a gold mine of useful information. You can go down the rabbit hole for hours on there.
    anglicancontinuum.blogspot.com

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I have read them for a while in the past... any reason why they aren't as active anymore?

7. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The original owner became Eastern Orthodox. Fr. Larry Wells had a stroke and was ill for an extended time. +Peter Robinson just doesn't blog much anymore.

The Continuum blog has mostly become a place for Robert Hart to post his sermons.

8. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you!

I'm aware of David Virtue and read him for years even when I wasn't Anglican. Haven't followed in quite some time.

I'll checkout the anglican.audio. I thought I had before but it might have been when they first started.

9. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you for reminding me of them. I'll give them another go. If looks like they're expanding their writings /offering.

10. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not for me and I'll just leave it at that. Thank you for the suggestion though.

11. Dave

Dave Active Member

Texas
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I can relate to several Lutheran blogs, podcasts, etc easier than many of the Anglican ones. I am in the C4SO Diocese and my local parish does a wonderful job of word and sacrament. However, I'm not a point where the NT Wright, Scot McKnight, etc views and writings resonate with me personally.
    I'm pretty down to earth and simple. I appreciate the straight forward evangelical message of Luther. He's a bit fiery and over the top at times that I can relate to.
    Any Anglicans that delivery a similar message without being a Puritan?

12. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I'll second the North American Anglican. If you're interested in liturgy more specifically, I'll dare to toot my own horn: https://saint-aelfric-customary.org/

I would caution you against Virtue Online and Anglican Unscripted, though. The former has demonstrated some dodgy journalism ethics from time to time and the latter I find insufferably smug.

Anglican Compass is hit-or-miss; some of their contributors are excellent, but as a whole that site leans heavily in the "modern Anglicanism" camp, favoring the "three streams" mentality at the expense of historic Anglican tradition. So you have to be attentive to the authors there.

Shane R and Thomas Didymus like this.
  13. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I have enjoyed your blog

Fr. Brench likes this.