Are the Canticles of the Office ever replaced by hymns?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by DadHocHypothesis, Oct 6, 2021.

1. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Obviously, the BCP doesn't say that you can sing a hymn instead of, e.g., the Te Deum, but because the content of a traditional service is ultimately at the priest's (and bishop's) discretion, is it something that was ever done in practice?

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My experience is that, particularly at Morning Prayer, whichever is the shortest of the canticles is the one in regular use. Morning Prayer as a richly adorned service has largely gone by the wayside.

The te deum is generally considered a piece best left to those parishes which can muster some semblance of a choir. Also, our attention deficit society tends to think te deum and benedicite omnia opera are arduously long.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    We need a return to beauty and traditionalism.

4. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Honestly, the Benedicite is too much for even me, liturgy junkie that I am!

5. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Charles Wheatly (died 1742) in his Rational Illustration of the Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England, gives the following note in Chapter 3, Section 13, part IV:
    So some in Wheatly's time were using metrical paraphrases of the psalms provided as alternative canticles.

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Ever heard or sung the Benedicite by Naylor? Brilliant! This is just a snippet - the whole thing is a stonking good sing! You'll need to unmute it on the right hand side of the video to hear the sound.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Rexlion and Invictus like this.
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Computer speakers (though mine are decent ones, with sub) don't do it any justice. Wish I could be there.

Tiffy likes this.
  8. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Okay. That's significantly more magnificent than the version I ever got my organist to play.

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I sang this the first time 66 years ago in a 24 strong parish choir with a 4 manual organ accompanyment. It's LONG but such joyful fun to sing especially the gloria and Amens at the end of the marathon. :laugh: By which time the congreagation have all gone home. :biglaugh:

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Shane R likes this.