Are ordinations of transgender or those in same-sex relationships being discussed in your Parishes?

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Anna Scott, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Are ordinations of transgender or those in same-sex relationships being discussed in your Parishes? Are your Rectors talking about these developments other than in private conversations?

Peace,
    Anna

2. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    No never hear a whisper of it at the grass roots level.

3. Anna Scott

Gordon,
    Very interesting, because for the longest time, nothing was said in our Parish except in private conversations or certain opportunities when the Rector took time to answer whatever questions we may have. Essentially, the pulpit has been silent.

However, things have changed due to the possible General Convention approval, this summer, of an authorized rite for the blessing of same-gender relationships. Two parishes in our state will be authorized to perform the ceremony. The Bishop says he will vote no on the ceremony and no on ordination/consecration of those living in same gender relationships. However, General Convention approval of the rite is expected. Gay marriage is not legal in our state. So, the blessing liturgy will not create or solemnize any marriage or civil union.

In the future, other congregations in our diocese may request permission to perform the ceremony; and there will be a provision for clergy who wish to do blessings of same-gender relationships outside the church.

The good news is that orthodox/traditional Episcopal congregations/rectors may state that they will not conduct or participate in rites for blessing persons of the same gender, or sponsor anyone for ordination, or employ any clergy who are in a non-celibate relationship outside holy matrimony.

Our Rector has made it very clear that he will never perform any rites or blessings of same-sex unions or sponsor anyone for ordination, or employ any clergy who are in a non-celibate relationship outside holy matrimony. He is teaching classes regarding the Biblical view of men/women, sexuality, and what God expects of us; and I expect him to include the role of Tradition in Christian orthodoxy, as he always does. The weekly classes will last for quite awhile. I missed the first few classes due to health issues, but hope to attend classes starting this week.

These are difficult times and much prayer is needed.

So, Gordon, I will close by posting your prayer.

4. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    It all sounds like PC gone wild over there in the USofA, if there is any talk of it here at all it is pretty much kept to small groups. Queensland where I live is a very conservative diocese so that is probably why we don't hear much of it.

5. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    No, they aren't, but as my parish is a small chapliancy this is not surprising

6. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I was driving past an episcopal church last sunday and I saw they have a large poster showing an anglican minister blessing a gay marriage with the inscription "God is love"

Sad times

7. Anna Scott

Scottish Knight,

I believe God is love. However, if we love Him, we will keep his Commandments.

Anna

Scottish Knight likes this.
  8. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    No priest in the Diocese of Albany is allowed to perform, participate, or attend a same-sex blessing or marriage neither are diocesan parishes able to be used for such ceremonies.

9. not discussed so much. but there are defiantly men in training for the priesthood who are openly gay. one of my best friends (another gay guy) converted to the Anglican faith last year and is already studying. he is openly gay, and has complete support from the Archbishop of Newcastle, Australia.

10. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    First of all I believe anyone can study toward a Degree in Theology but that does not necessarily mean you would automatically be accepted for ordination as a deacon or priest in the Anglican Church of Australia.

I believe this link pretty much points out the Anglican Church of Australia position on same sex union and ordination of homosexual people within the Church:

http://www.anglican.org.au/Web/Website.nsf/content/Homosexuality

11. true. but they are just words....
    another very good friend of mine is in a rship with a guy who about to be ordained in Melbourne. they have been together for nearly a decade and the church he was assigned to as a deacon knew he is gay, the Archbishop knew. and my friend is just treated the same way a hetrosexual priest's wife would be. so despite all the nonsense about not accepting it; a great majority do, and more and more homosexual men and women are being ordained to the priesthood.