Any Gardeners here

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by bwallac2335, Mar 9, 2021.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I grow a pretty decent sized garden/orchards here. This year will be smaller than usual but I will still have around an acre of different blackberries. Some wild some domesticated. Thirty one blueberry bushes, 5 figs, 8 apples, 4 pears, one peach, three plums, 2 pecan, 7 chestnuts, plus a whole bunch of veggies. I grow the typical, for around here, tomatoes, squash, green beans, okra, and peppers plus, radishes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, dandelion greens, wild arugula, spinach, asparagus, english peas, and carrots. I might be forgetting something. I am trying some odd berries like fall gold rasberries and tayberries also. I am also getting yard chickens with a moveable coup.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I do a mix of pots and beds. I experiment with different things.

In pots I grow strawberries and peppers.

In beds I grow tomatoes, radishes, potatoes, carrots, and sometimes cucumbers (trellised). I've tried eggplants and had no success. I was told later they are a cool weather vegetable, much like cilantro, and won't thrive in the heat of the Southern climate. We planted sunflowers one year that were supposed to top out at 8'; they made it to about 5' and dried up prematurely. I also tried pumpkins once and the vine grew but it never produced a single pumpkin. I'm going to try lettuce this year. My girls want me to grow snap peas too but I don't really have the space to put in a row of them.

I put in blueberry bushes last year. They bore one handful of blueberries and my daughters were quite disappointed but I was not surprised. This year I suppose they'll do a little better. We also have a plum tree which has not yet borne. I planted it 3 years ago. Of course, we're moving soon so someone else will enjoy the blueberries and plums. I'll have to start over on the berries. Oh well, we'll live near the Amish and can buy from them for the next year or two.

And of course I've got some herbs. I grow mint, parsley, basil, and cilantro.

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Oh y0u new home owners will love those bushes. You just can't beat those fresh produce. I just enjoy growing things. If I get to eat it that is a huge plus besides being healthier