Another Floridian

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Acolyte, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Grew up in the Episcopal Church and served as an Acolyte in my local church during teenage years (hence the name). However, I went with my wife's preference after marriage in 79 and tried very hard to be a good Presbyterian. It hasn't been horrible, but I just can't get the Anglican out of my system, even after 40+ years. So, here I am.

2. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    Welcome! Have you possibly considered URCNA as an in-between?

3. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Hi Othniel,

The URCNA is not a denomination that I am familiar with. A quick online check shows one church in Florida located in Ft. Myers, which would be about 6 hrs away from my location in NE Florida, so not much to work with there.

However, at a deeper level, I can't find much attraction to the possibility. I have, so to speak, seen quite a few reformed churches over the years and continue to find myself drawn back towards my roots in Anglicanism. Interestingly, I recall a good lecture given at a conservative Presbyterian church in Rochester NY that I attended in the early 2000s about the three original protestant streams, which were referred to as Paleo-Reformed, Paleo-Lutheran and Paleo-Anglican. I have spent a good deal of time looking into the reformed stream over the years, so I do have some familiarity with the possibilities. But, as noted, I still find myself drawn back to my beginnings.

Cordially,
    Acolyte

Stalwart likes this.
  4. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    OK, I just finished taking my initial cruise around here. After throwing out a few "likes" here and there, I soon decided that I would be better off staying out of the whole fracas in re the Brits banning (or maybe not?) conversion therapy. :hmm:Hopped over to check on the jousting going on in re Hell and Universalism--always good to see the meeting of minds (or rather, the butting of heads) on such matters. :clap:

Here as before, I quickly decided that it would be better for me not to wade into such troubled waters on my first day. And, finally, found my best thread to peruse as a newbie: Anglican Memes! :)

There were plenty of smiles, and a few chuckles here and there, but I didn't bust out laughing until I came to #131. :D I still laugh even now thinking about it. That was, without a doubt, the best portrayal of the EC (in context) that I have seen for awhile. :thumbsup:

PS--Congrats on your nice selection of Emojis!

Othniel and Stalwart like this.
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    :signwelcome: Have you scouted for Anglican parishes near your home yet? If not, we can point you toward some Anglican church finder web pages. :)

6. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Hi Rexlion,

Yes, I've checked, but find myself put off by my local ACNA parish (due to a female priest who assists her husband in pastoring the church). Should I be bothered or not? I'm somewhat conflicted on the issue. This conflict is due to my own prior experience over a long lifetime. I.e., in my experience the onset of female ministers was invariably the first sign of the imminent demise of respectable denominations. I was actually over in the Presbyterian Church at that point, but things seem to have gone the same way with the EC in my absence. First come the nice ladies, then all Hell breaks loose. However, as someone here pointed out on another thread I checked, the mere confluence of events does not necessarily prove causation. The lady ministers were overall a pretty nice bunch. Nonetheless, their appearance does appear to be one of the early signs of a general "loosening" of standards that continues downhill from there. Still, I'm a fan of saintly ladies and try to be a gentleman, so I'm always hesitant to diss the ones whose good intentions may not be for the best in the long run (though I also can't help but wish that they would seek another way to serve the church).

Anyhow, that was a long digression on the way to saying that I have checked and am still checking. At this point, I am not looking for a complete change of church. I actually like our current conservative Presbyterian church and minister (both being great, though--sadly--not Anglican). Plus, my wife is very set in her ways and I do not wish to create a conflict in her religious life. I am just personally hungry for something to supplement my current life, especially vis-a-vis Holy Communion. There is another (more Anglo-Catholic) Anglican church within reach that has a Thursday afternoon service with communion that I am hoping to start attending, but so far I am having a hard time getting in contact. I will probably need to just show up with my dog-eared Baptismal Certificate close by (just in case) and see how things go.

Cordially,
    Acolyte

PS--Notwithstanding anything said above, I'd be happy to be pointed to Anglican church finder webpages just to make sure I haven't missed something.

Othniel, Carolinian and Stalwart like this.
  7. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome to the Forum, Acolyte.

I'm happy to read you're coming home to Anglicanism.

It may be a good idea to get your bearings before wading in. There are many schools within Anglicanism so you will read different views quite often strongly supported by their proponents. Don't let that put you off. I always think there's no point in belieivng something unless you're willing to defend it firmly.

Acolyte likes this.
  8. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I know that the UECNA has a mission in Florida someplace (not sure if it's around you). The UECNA is classically Anglican and is what some would describe as being Old High and Low Church in character.

Othniel and Acolyte like this.
  9. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    HI PDL,

I agree about the many schools within Anglicanism, but don't find myself ready to go to bat for any at the moment. I consider myself to be more "high" than "low" (but not by much). Basically, I grew up in a very humble mission church in the Jacksonville suburbs, and knew nothing very much beyond the most basic doctrine when I drifted away as a young man. I.e., I had never seriously read or studied even the resources provided in the Prayer Book while I was attending and growing up--that did not happen until much later. However, I guess the impression of what I experienced in worship there never left me. Consequently, despite the numerous and varied churches and church services I have attended since then, I have always felt that the "best" way to understand and worship God was the way I grew up with. So, to that extent at least, Lex Orandi = Lex Credendi has always been correct for me. Likewise, Scripture + Tradition + Experience as a guide to Truth. I consider these as taking precedence in that order and not with equal weight as some do. Consequently, I find the movement of the EC to (seemingly) reverse the order and precedence of these elements to be reprehensible if not insane. However, I also do not feel chained to prior interpretations of Scripture if I consider them to be incorrect. Tradition can err as Article XIX makes clear. And though I agree with C. S. Lewis that Chronological Snobbery regarding well considered decisions made in the past is ludicrous, I equally think that those in the past could also err, even those who wrote the Anglican Formularies. This is not intended as a specific challenge to anything, though (like some others on the board) I consider ECT to be an abhorrent conclusion of last resort rather than a result to be relished.

Hi Carolinian,

Thanks for the tip. The two Florida churches I found online with the UECNA are at 6 hrs. and 2 hrs. distance, which is farther than I would wish to go at this point. However, I like to investigate the Anglican continuum so I am happy for the tip and will probably take some time for further investigation.

I am, BTW, in the NE corner of Florida about equidistant between Jacksonville and Gainesville. So, out in the country (or what is left of it).

Cordially,
    S&S

10. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    You have no need to bat for anyone of them. I wrote it by way of explaining why you will find differing opinions on here.

Mind you, it would be a rather boring forum if after the opening post of every thread all others wrote was, 'Yes, I agree'.

Rexlion, Acolyte and Invictus like this.
  11. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Yes, I agree... er, um... :laugh:

Like you, I would be bothered by the female priest. (I grew up RC, btw). But that's one parish, and I hope you won't judge all of the ACNA by their standard. My rector commented not long ago about one particular bishop in ACNA who really is out of place with his theology; I'm guessing perhaps the parish you investigated might be in his diocese. I think the general direction and trend in ACNA is away from, not toward, the liberalism of that sort of thing.

I understand your situation with the wife's desires. Happy wife, happy life, as they say.

Stalwart, Carolinian and Acolyte like this.
  12. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Well, . . . yeah, that was kinda part of my considerations. :rolleyes:

13. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Hi PDL,

You're right about that, but having read through the 12 pages of "Episcopal church without gay marriage" thread, I also think I will likely avoid the more contentious threads on such subjects. First, because there are plenty of other people that argue the relevant points that I would argue better than I can. Second, because I am too likely to lose my temper in the process (and am currently having to "manage" it due to some things that were said in that debate). So, I'll probably just make some popcorn and enjoy the "clash of the Titans" in such matters from the sidelines. Other threads don't present these issues, so I will most likely restrict myself to subject matter that doesn't involve "the late unpleasantness" in the Anglican communion and elsewhere. There seem to be plenty of interesting topics that will not, as one sweet RC lady once remarked to me of herself, "make me lose the grace of God".

Cordially,
    Acolyte

Shane R and Stalwart like this.
  14. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I congratulate you on your gentility! :handshake:

I try to be like :discuss: and :gramps: but quite often I find myself more like :duel: and it's all too easy to get :furious:.

Stalwart, Acolyte and Invictus like this.
  15. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Hi Acolyte!

Not sure where in NE Florida you are but if you're near Fernadina, Amelia Island has an absolutely beautiful APA parish called Holy Trinity...and if I recall rightly, Jacksonville has a number of choices from all sorts of Anglican jurisdictions. And there are of course some conservative leaning Episcopal churches in Northern Florida but you'll have to visit them to know for sure.

Acolyte likes this.
  16. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Hi Acolyte,

I definitely do not feel bereft of options in my current location, though Amelia Island would be too far to go. At the moment, I am just planning to try to get in a good Thursday afternoon habit of communion here:

https://saintmichaelsanglican.org/

It's an ACC church that I have visited before with my son, though I can't remember the occasion. He often went to hear the former minister and currently has one of my grandsons in the Trail Life program there.

Cordially,
    Acolyte

PS--I live pretty far to the West of Jax, though I grew up in the Southside and Beaches areas. I was baptized at Grace Chapel Episcopal in Southside and grew up in the Church of the Redeemer, a mission church of Grace Chapel where my parents were charter members. The little mission church is long gone and there is a new Church of the Redeemer out on Southside Boulevard (if you're familiar with Jacksonville).

PPS--I'd really like to support the ACNA as it seems like it might have the best chance of re-uniting the disparate groups of non-EC Anglicans in the U.S., but I'm also not averse to the ACC, so . . . .

Lowly Layman likes this.
  17. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Darn! I can't edit and just addressed a post to myself instead of Lowly Layman! :blush:

Lowly Layman likes this.
  18. Acolyte

Acolyte New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (inactive)
    Hi Rexlion,

Actually, its probably more intimidation than gentility. After awhile reading the discussion mentioned got a bit like watching the "dueling banjos" number in Deliverance. I was impressed and interested, but just didn't think that I had the theological and philosophical "riffs" to dive into the discussion.

This is not to say that I was not gritting my teeth from time-to-time and considering sallying forth, but that can wait for another time/topic.

Cordially,
    Acolyte

19. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I have limited experience with the ACC, but once attended a mass at an ACC parish in South Carolina. The service was elevated but completely true to the 1928 BCP. Quite lovely and humbling. I hope you find a home there that nourishes your soul. GOD bless!

Acolyte likes this.
  20. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Don't get mad. Just accept other people have different views and opinions and have a right to them. Either argue back cordially if you feel able or if you feel your knowledge is lacking just sit back and watch :popcorn:

Elmo likes this.