Anglicanism and Lutheranism

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Traditionalist, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Fun fact: in the Orthodox and Catholic churches, days in a liturgical rite on which the Eucharist cannot be celebrated are called aliturgical, for example, Good Friday in the Tridentine Rite, weekdays in Lent in the Byzantine and Ambrosian Rites, and theoretically, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday in the West Syriac (Orthodox) and any day other than Sunday in the Armenian Rite, except for feast days. Of course the Byzantine Rite uses the Presanctifed Liturgy of St. Gregory the Great on two or three days per week in Lent and Holy Week, and the Tridentine Rite uses the Mass of the Presanctified (which was basically the same as the Byzantine Presanctified Liturgy of St. Gregory until Pope Pius XII decided to ruin it in the 1950s), on Good Friday (when the Orthodox and most Anglicans have a synaxis but no Eucharist, presanctified or otherwise).

2. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    By the way, I think the main reason to chose traditional Anglicanism over Lutheranism is liturgical. Lutherans aren’t comsistent enough in following their own service books. Also, I do wish that Martin Luther hadn’t said some of the things he did, or sought to banish the Antilegomenna and the Deuterocanonical Books.

Traditional Anglicanism, of both the low church and high church parties, strikes me as more Catholic (although the LCMS is increasingly good in this respect, but they lack bishops, which I find regrettable, even though I consider Congregationalism to not be a wholly unacceptable polity, but the Anglican/Orthodox model of a hierarchy of superintendents presiding over parishes seems to be the most correct).

Thomas Didymus likes this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My friend Pastor Sullivan dropped a video today analyzing a number of Lutheran hymnals (which typically also contain the services of the church so that there is 1 book for the prayers and the music). It is very informative for a 10 minute run-time:

Thomas Didymus likes this.
  4. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    I have a very large collection of these.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I had several but the moving company lost most of them when we moved from Texas to Virginia. Now the only one I have is the ELS hymnal.

6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I have the utmost respect for Lutherans (especially Confessional Lutherans) generally and for the work and legacy of Martin Luther specifically. Their adherence to orthodoxy and boldness in calling out heterodoxy within their own ranks as well as in other denominations is laudable, except when it becomes nitpicking and miopic. In fact, I would say that Lutherans and Anglicans are very similar in many ways, both in terms of worship and theology. But where areas of divergence exist, I generally side with the Anglican position.
    • Lutheranism generally departs from the historic threefold ministry and denies the necessity of Apostolic Successiom.
    • Luther's understanding of the Real Presence has issues and the Classical Anglican eucharistic is superior as it is more in line with Scripture and the teachings of the Early Church Fathers.

Thomas Didymus and Stalwart like this.
  7. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Pretty much my view exactly.