"Anglican" Monasticism?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by The Hackney Hub, Jun 14, 2012.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Is there room for monasticism in the Anglican tradition?

2. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I certainly hope so.

...Scottish Monk

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    How do we define monasticism? What is the positive case for having it?

4. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Go straight to the source--the people participating in Anglican monasticism--and listen to their voices.

Anglican Religious Life 2012-2013 (Canterbury Press)

Anglican religious communities (communities.anglicancommunion.org)

And there are more links (just google "anglican monasticism") and books (Amazon.com search "anglican monasticism").

...Scottish Monk

Sean611 and Adam Warlock like this.
  5. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I am not sure what you mean by the question. There is already monastic communities in the Anglican Church and always had been up to the time of the schism, but the Oxford movement was behind the re-inception of monastic communities I believe the first being the Society of Divine Compassion in 1894. That said if they decide there is no room for us anymore I will have to transfer to the Roman Third Order Franciscans.

Adam Warlock and Scottish Monk like this.
  6. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

We need you around. Your prayers are highly valued.

Sean611, Scottish Monk and Gordon like this.
  7. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Was the Protestant ideal behind 16th century Anglicanism compatible with monasticism? Whoever dismantled the Monasteries certainly didn't think it was! Before you chalk that down to greed, remember that there's always something more in human hearts than the desire for wealth.

Personally, I see no need for monasticism. To deny ourselves, to pray for the world, and to live as God's beloved child in Christ Jesus is more than enough for anyone to handle. Abjuring the world is a way of leaving temptation (which I consider cowardly), and also of gaining new, different, and ultimately worse temptations.

Monks/nuns leave temptation, in that they never have to deal with any of the opposite sex, as well as many other things. Sure, we have lovely legends of Anthony being tempted by devils, but in reality a very large amount of temptation (and thus virtue & triumph against it) is lost in being cooped up.

Monks/nuns gain temptation in that they may be overwhelmed with elitism and pride in their own asceticism. Really, what's different between a monk and a non-consecrated person? We are all tempted, we are all sinners, and we all wish to draw closer to Christ Jesus. Pro-monastic friends have told me that the monastics pray for the world, or pray constantly in a way that the rest of us cannot. It is an assumption that the monastics are better able to become perfect, as we are all commanded to be. I cannot agree.

If you wish to run from the world and hide in your cells and refectories, never to have the joy of normal daily conversation and communication in the world, you may make the decision yourself; simply know that you will lose the opportunity to truly evangelise, and to publicly live the gospel, as Christ commanded it.

I see no defense for Monasticism in Luke 10:38-42, so don't you monkish people try to sneak that in! :) :p Also, it is a very ancient idea, yes, but that does not make it clearly Christian.

8. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Remembrance with respect you would not have any idea what is in a persons heart that leads them to a life of service only to God, and takes the vows of Poverty, Chastity, and Obedience. I don't understand why you feel it is necessary to denigrate people that you do not know and have never been in a situation to experience what they experience and live the life they choose to live for Christ. :(

Scottish Monk likes this.
  9. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The question is not whether they exist in Anglicanism, but whether they ought to exist... :)

Of course, you must distinguish between 'monks' who actually leave their cloister throughout the day, and those who remain inside a monastery. Those who have an actual ministry are not technically "monachos", alone. They are more akin to friars (i.e. Franciscans/Dominicans), canons (i.e. Augustinians), or clerics regular (i.e. Jesuits).

I have no ill will against them, nor do I wish to dis-honour them. God forbid that anyone should ever dishonour a Christian, born again by water and the Spirit! Shame on me if I ever do such a thing.

On the contrary, my very best friend in the world is a Franciscan in a new, flourishing community. Another dear friend is a very holy friar, who has had time with monks. I've seen the entirety of the lovely documentary "into Great Silence", and have discussed it at length with my friends. We discuss and have discussed the life constantly. Please do not think I speak harshly out of ignorance, because it is always our duty as Christians to learn before we speak, as the Spirit is called the Spirit of Truth, not of presumption. ;)

I know what is in a person's heart that leads him to serve only God: for it was in my heart, your heart, and all our hearts who accept the Lord Jesus Christ as God and wish to serve Him in everything. Monasticism is not necessary for that. It is not impossible to remain a lay-person and be utterly dedicated to God, in poverty, chaste, and obedient to all above you, and most of all to the Holy Spirit.

I reject the false dichotomy between monastic and non-monastic, is all. :)

EDIT: seeing that the O.P. itself asks whether there's "room" in Anglicanism for monasticism, I suppose there's room for it anywhere. The Buddhists have it, so anyone can make the choice. I don't believe it's an ethical, moral, or holy decision at all, and think it more a turning away from the difficulties we must face in life, rather than a laudable thing. I hold this for Catholicism and Orthodoxy as well as Anglicanism.

The first monks who followed Anthony did so out of disgust for the tepidity and nominal nature of Christianity that was growing up in Alexandria and other cities. Please note the reactionary, negative nature of it. It's a shame that Anthony the Great hadn't stayed in the city and made his holy life a beacon for everyone, rather than just for fellow solitary, inward souls.

10. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
  11. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is a great and lovely film for a good 3-4 hours of 'quiet time'. :) I am grateful to the filmmaker.

12. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Adam Warlock and Remembrance like this.
  13. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dear fellow Christian, why must it always be "bash" or "gang up on", with us? I hold no ill will toward monastics, but if someone's asking whether monasticism fits for Anglicanism, and many people reply in the positive, surely the person who disagrees must affirm the negative. I am bound by conscience toward what is right, though perhaps I should proceed with less fire and brimstone. :)

Whether anything ought to exist is not "up to the Church", if by "the Church" we mean different things. One bishop approving a monastic community is not "the Church", however much the bishop might like to think so. Vincent of Lerins, in his Commonitory, says that even if the entire Church were to give up the faith, individuals have the examples of the ancients to fall back upon. The Church isn't an ethereal, infallible entity, but is the Ecclesia, house and gathering of all the faithful.

Anglicans were perfectly happy without monasticism from 1560-1830, weren't they? Many movements came and went, advocating greater holiness, without need for monks praying for the world to be upheld. Please take my arguments as such, and not as attacks, I beg you!

highchurchman and Stalwart like this.
  14. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Best one steps back out of this discussion it has just turned into another pre-reformation v's post-reformation they are not real Anglicans thread and in my opinion it is a total waste of time getting involved in it.

Alkayus and Scottish Monk like this.
  15. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

There is a Benedictine Community whose members attend our Parish. Our Rector is their confessor. Some are celibate and take a vow of poverty as an "Order," and live in the House. Some are married and have families and live in their homes.

Who better to pray without ceasing? Who among us are willing to sell all we have and give to the poor or contribute our resources in a Community to be shared with all? Who better to take in those who are destitute? I'm certainly not strong enough to do these things.

1 Thessalonians 5
    12 We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, 13 and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. 14 And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. 15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. 16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies, 21 but test everything; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil.23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it. 25 Brothers, pray for us.26 Greet all the brothers with a holy kiss. 27 I put you under oath before the Lord to have this letter read to all the brothers. 28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

1 Corinthians 7:
    6 Now as a concession, not a command, I say this. 7 I wish that all were as I myself am. But each has his own gift from God, one of one kind and one of another.

8 To the unmarried and the widows I say that it is good for them to remain single as I am.
    29 This is what I mean, brothers: the appointed time has grown very short. From now on, let those who have wives live as though they had none, 30 and those who mourn as though they were not mourning, and those who rejoice as though they were not rejoicing, and those who buy as though they had no goods, 31 and those who deal with the world as though they had no dealings with it. For the present form of this world is passing away.
    32 I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. 33 But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. 35 I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.
    Matthew 19:21:
    21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” See also Mark 10:21; Luke 12:33; Luke 18:22; Luke 3:11.

Charity please.

Anna

16. Anna Scott

There is quite a long list of Anglican Religious Orders, Guilds, Societies and Associations:

Link: Religious Orders

17. Anna Scott

Gordon,
    I don't see an elimination of monasticism in Anglicanism.

You have my full support, my prayers, and my admiration for your dedication to our Lord.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

18. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    What you mean by the word 'schism'?

19. Toma

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Since monasticism gained ascendancy in the Church during the Roman tyranny, and was almost totally abolished in the reformation of the Church of England, this has always been a pre- vs. post-reformation topic. This very issue was one of the great distinctions between Anglicanism (of the first 300 years) and its Roman opponents.

Whoever repents, believes, is baptised, and tries with all his might to live a perfect redeemed life under God is committing himself completely to God! This dichotomy between monks and seculars is imagined.

Anglicanism wasn't always this diverse. Since when is diversity a good thing, anyway? Unity and love are more important than doing whatever you want.

No insult is intended.

Monk is from the root-word "monachos", meaning "alone". Those who became the first desert hermits, and later cenobitic monks under Pachomius and Basil, were not married. "Married monk" is an oxymoron. It undermines the entire point of taking at least one of the vows, doesn't it?

To me, this wish to have holy, consecrated monks set-apart from laity, yet to retain marriage for them, is symbolic of mixed-intention and confusion about our goals: Roman celibate asceticism, or the very Protestant expectation of marriage for all?

Those who are born again of water and the Spirit, that's who! :) It's not difficult to always be petitioning the blessed Trinity, ever seeing things in light of God. Why do those who love monasticism get so up-in-arms about unceasing prayer?

When I was a Roman Catholic and supported monasticism, I made this excuse. My reasoning was that I am unable to unceasingly pray, so monks had best do it. I think that this was sheer spiritual laziness on my part. We are all told to pray unceasingly, and that is that. Monks take the burden off of us: "pray unceasingly? the monks are already doing that, so I can get back to my life!" What a horrible way to shirk our universal Christian duty!

Clearly not people who are for monks, and clearly not monks themselves. Why do I say that? Even the Son of Man had no place to lay his head, yet monasteries have beds and chairs. What of this, then? Christianity is a radical religion, for all His disciples are called to absolute self-denial. Those who try to live it cannot be blamed, but those who throw it onto the shoulders of the spiritual elite (what monks are seen to be), are shirking their duty and God judges that harshly.

I'm all for Franciscan-type friars who actually live the Gospel and preach it in the world. Let them be medieval antiquarians and prefer robes to normal clothing... but as long as they're living the good news for the world and preaching the evangelion, all is beautiful and good.With words, if necessary, they live it and breathe it in the world God made, rather than cooped up in a cloister, to deny it all. Atheists, agnostics, and non-believers benefit more from being preached to and seeing the holy lives of Christians, than from prayers of foreign, unknown people who never met them.

The ultimate expression of Desert-Monasticism, the Carthusian fathers, don't even see one homeless, destitute, or hungry person all their lives long. With their contemplation and endless meditations, praying for whatever distant stranger, they are unable to greet any strangers at the doors of their monastery. It's a shame... what a hypocritical institution is the monastery (not the canonry, friary, or rectory, mind you)!

This has always been a perfect example of the sophistry employed to justified monasticism. This letter is addressed to an entire local church, not to a group of monks or consecrated widows. The Apostle tells everyone to pray without ceasing. Why should that apply to a monastic elite? Everyone is capable of this ceaseless prayer, this holy love that endures at all times!

What an absolute corruption of the universal call to holiness that is the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Why can't Paul, here, be speaking about the way things are, rather than what he wishes they were? Regardless of that, an "unmarried man/woman" need not be a monk/nun in a habit, conformed to strict laws. They may choose to do so, I suppose, but it's difficult to respect such a decision when there's a whole wide world of unconverted sinners who absolutely need to hear the Gospel. Whispered prayers in monasteries do not spread this good news; for, if this were the true spiritual goal (the only way to pray unceasingly), there would be no evangelists - everyone would be joining monasteries. Not one poor atheist would ever hear the Truth!

A glorious and hard command which we praise our Lord for challenging us with! We don't need to be monks - cut off from the world - to do so. :p

Simply disagreeing with Anglo-Catholic opinions does not make one uncharitable. Secularists call Christians uncharitable when Hell and sin are mentioned, but it is our duty to preach Christ crucified for sins.

Combative commentary removed.
    -admin

20. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    No I said I am withdrawing from the discussion, I am also revisiting any further participation in the forum. I am sorry but I don't believe I need to make public my reasons for dedicating my life to a life of service to satisfy the entertainment of a few stirrers on this forum. Actually I am quite disgusted in the generalizations being put forward in this thread.