Anglican Monastic Breviary

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by PDL, Apr 22, 2019.

1. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I possess a copy of Monastic Breviary Matins: According to the Holy Rule of St. Benedict. As the name says on the tin (or rather the book) it contains only Matins. Can you please tell me if there was ever a similar publication with the remainder of the Office?

In case anyone wonders why I am asking this in an Anglican forum the above mentioned publication is in English and was for use in Anglican religious communities. So, it is an English-language equivalent for Anglican use that I want. I do know the Roman Catholic Monastic Diurnal would be the natural answer to my question as phrased. But, I am asking if an English translation for Anglicans was ever produced.

2. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    Indeed there was; a superb and well printed Monastic Diurnal published by Oxford University Press and it went into many editions. I can remember seeing it in print and on the shelf in the old Mowbrays of Margaret Street. It was beautifully produced in a slim and elegant volume in two editions ; morocco leather and the other black cloth boards. The Roman catholic version is printed in latin and English and was edited at Collegeville Abbey. You might find an old copy of the Anglican edition second hand. If you are in real difficulties you have my e mail address. There is a new re-printed edition by the Lancelot Andrewes Press (USA) but there are copies in England of this new volume.

PDL likes this.
  3. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
  4. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    Yes, this is the one. It is excellent and praised by that great expert Peter F.Anson in THE CALL OF THE CLOISTER. It has good print and the rubrics are in red.

5. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have both editions of Anson's book; although, I haven't read what he says on the Diurnal. I haven't read it from cover to cover but only selectively read up on various communities. I should probably try to read them fully, but so little time and so much to read!