Anglican Eschatology

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by David, Jun 7, 2021.

1. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello all.

My question this evening is regarding the Anglican eschatological stance/s.

Are there any good books, sites or articles regarding the end time events through the eyes of our historic Church?

Kind regards

David
    Yorkshire.

2. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I think mostly amillennial or postmillennial. I was talking to a couple of the fellows in the parish hall yesterday (one is a deacon) and they both think we're currently in the millennial reign of Christ (and have been so since, more or less, Christ's ascension).

Personally, my understanding is the millennial reign of Jesus on earth is yet to come, followed by God destroying the old, worn-out dustbin and creating an entirely new earth. I think that's what the most natural reading of Revelation suggests. Fortunately, Anglicans can discuss this without rancor (although not without dearly held preconceptions, of course!). :)

David likes this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are also a fair number of partial Preterists, such as N.T. Wright. The best Anglican commentary on the Revelation of St. John is by Bishop Christopher Wordsworth, as part of his larger commentary on the entire New Testament. You'll want Vol. II and it's available as a free .pdf here: http://www.classicchristianlibrary.com/nt_section.html

David likes this.
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    David, I'd like to point you toward a thread I created a while back and just updated today, on the subject of Bible interpretation methods. I hope it is of some aid.
    https://forums.anglican.net/threads/interpreting-prophecies.4022/#post-40172

By the way, I don't believe in a 'pre-tribulation rapture' (I never have believed in it) and I think it's an unfortunate development. It's not difficult to demonstrate from just 2-3 scripture verses that it's wrong. There is a 'catching away' of the believers, mere seconds after the dead in Christ rise, but this takes place at Jesus' Second Advent.

David likes this.