Anglican Communion Provinces

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by The Hackney Hub, Jul 31, 2012.

1. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Not sure where to put this post but I'm wanting to sort out which Provinces could be counted as "liberal" "conservative" and "moderate"

2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The metaphor of a flotilla consisting of 38 ships is a lovely one.

As a whole, the fleet is trying to plot a course to Heaven and sail there. Two ships (the Episcopal Church USA and the Anglican Church of Canada), are attempting to break off from the fleet and sail elsewhere. These national churches are going to places unheard of in Christian history regarding their teaching on the role of our Lord & Saviour in the ultimate purpose of life. Inter-faith Gay Pride services are common in Canada and some American dioceses; our very bishop celebrated one just this past weekend. Jesus is not unique in the teaching of many bishops here and in America.

The Southern Cone and provinces of Africa seem to be conservative. The Church of England is moderate? The Church of Ireland looks to be very conservative, and Wales moderately evangelical in its conservatism. :)

3. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    The Southern Cone is conservative.

Most provinces in African are conservative, however, the Anglican Church of Southern Africa is the most liberal province in Africa, still i'd classify them as moderate.

Church of England--moderate.

The Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand & Polynesia--moderate

The Scottish Episcopal Church-moderate

The Episcopal Church (USA)-liberal

Anglican Church of Canada-liberal

I don't know much about the Asian provinces.
    It should also be noted that in the moderate/liberal provinces, there are sizable traditionalist/conservative minorities.

Toma likes this.
  4. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I'd classify all the British Churches as moderate to liberal. The Church of Ireland would be conservative or morderate/conservative. The Church in NZ would be liberal by my standards but Australia probably moderate.

I'm pretty sure that Brazil, Central America, Cuba, and Mexico are on board with TEC or at least not unfriendly to them. The Iberian Churches are conservative.

5. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Classifying these provinces between moderate to liberal may be a bit tricky. To some, ordination of women automatically makes the province liberal, however, the very conservative Free Methodist and pentecostal churches were ordaining women long before Anglicans even thought about it (and to think the TEC likes to call itself "prophetic" for ordaining women in the late 70s lol). Some conservative provinces ordain women, but do not allow them to become bishops.