Anglican Church Growth

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Rami, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Rami

Rami Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican
    "When we talk about Church Growth, we are advocating a process that puts the spiritual vitality of the individual and the parish at the foundation, prayer as the nails that hold every effort together, and a mission that engages the world around us with the liberating gospel of Jesus Christ as the blueprint. It employs the labor of every parishioner according to their strength and skill, and utilizes all available materials and methods to erect the building. When we say Church Growth, this is a fitting metaphor."

https://www.continuingforward.org/post/defining-church-growth-for-traditional-anglicans

I think I like this. What does everyone else think?

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    It's a nice enough article. I think its plan of evangelism is missing some ingredients. To what was already written I would add:

1. Christians need to know the Gospel message well enough to articulate it.
    2. Christians should be (or should work toward becoming) willing to articulate it.
    3. Christians need to be active in communicating the Gospel message, particularly among the people with whom they have personal relationships (relatives, friends, neighbors) but even in chance encounters with brief acquaintances, as the Spirit gives opportunity. If not by spoken words, then by written words (leaving Gospel tracts or whatnot). Or at the very least, regularly donate to some missionaries or evangelists who are actively communicating the Gospel.

Tom Barrial and Rami like this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I lost interest in those guys. I know who is responsible for that site and he and his parish are good workers. His intentions are good. But most of this stuff has not gone from the theoretical realm into practice, through no real fault of his. However, his Anglican jurisdiction and their partners are stuck in neutral and generally manage to plant one mission for every 3 or 4 parishes that close.

Tom Barrial likes this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    For some time some time ago I lived with a former Bishop of Quebec (The Rt Revd Russell Featherstone Brown) and he would often mutter on this subject a house-going parson makes a church-going people. My observation is that this is true. I also know that it is difficult to achieve. Our expectations on what clergy should do, plan the service, organise the overheads, source the music, check the copyrights, organise the lectors and musicians, and ensure that they all have sufficient resources and police clearances to perform these tasks. Email everyone likely to attend, ring everyone to make sure they got the email, organise transport for the people who can't organise their own, ensure everyone who is sick can avail themselves of home communion, and of course create a finely crafted original sermon that will be engaging, enlightening, uplifting and inspiring. We also need to be people of prayer, engaged in ongoing continuing education, and up to date with world affairs, and of course the latest in theology. There are of course the Diocesan responsibilities and a considerable barrage of forms that have to be completed and submitted on time.

Of course, it is important that the clergy have a day off, though in our Diocese that is now two days off.

Recently on stan in Australia, which has been sort of modelled on the trajectory of an Australian Pentecostal Church - Hillsong - and highlights some of the danger of pursuing success before faithfulness. If it is available on one of your streaming services, it is worth a watch.

We need to be faithful to God, faithful to the Gospel, faithful to the tradition in which we walk, and faithful to the communities among whom we walk.

Our Father ...​

Lowly Layman likes this.
  5. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Hard to rebuke your premise. Stuck in neutral for how long? 40 years? Thats about right. But, if the joint Synod and subsequent meetings last month, there is real movement within the G3 and for other orthodox Anglo Catholics towards unity.

Please stayed tune, pray for the One Church and muster up one more round of patient resolve. Amen.

6. Signum.Crucis

Signum.Crucis New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Discerning Christianity
    I'll believe it when I see it. The church I currently attend has an average age of about 60 years. In 10-20 years, the congregation will be dead.

Shane R, Br. Thomas and Pub Banker like this.
  7. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I concur with your observation. Our parish is a small mission-parish of the ACC. We are old. Some are under 60, a few are under 50. Two couples and a 5 year-old are under 40. We had more attendees years ago. I see no real enthusiasm in advancing the G3, as had been hoped for.

8. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    That is the exact opposite of my ACNA parish. We have seen slow but steady growth and it has been all 20-mid 40's range. We have enough babies now that we built a cry room.

Shane R and Br. Thomas like this.
  9. Melkite

Melkite Member

United States
    Religion:
    Melkite Catholic
    Is your parish Anglo-Catholic, Evangelical, or somewhere in between?

10. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    We would probably be gaining more young families, but our facility lacks a good place to hold Sunday School lessons for the children and youths. The old building we are forced to use for that purpose is dilapidated and, frankly, about ready to fall down. The new building plans are drawn up but funds have been lacking.

11. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    I do pray your church raises the money. We, too, are in the beginnings of a capital campaign for our first phase. I am struggling on how much to give, but give I must.

In the interim give thanks for what you have to the glory of God. Beauty is far more important from within than the bricks and mortar from without.

Rexlion likes this.
  12. Celticlady39

Celticlady39 New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Anglo-Catholic church I attend is quite well attended. Half of the congregation are over 60 and the other half are families with children and younger people. It is not my local church and I have to travel a bit further to get there but my local church does not have a Sunday school for my lively 5 year old and all of the congregation are over 60 I would say.