Anglican Charismatics in the ANiC

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Madeline, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Madeline

Madeline Well-Known Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I had a really strange experience yesterday. I decided to visit an ANiC church, because they're BCP people, grounded in the 39 Articles, and traditional liturgy. Or so their online information says. Well, no such thing.

The service turned out to be a Charismatic get-together. The congregation sang hymn after hymn, clapping, swaying, hands in the hair, getting revved up. I left. It was pretty odd.

Andy, Aidan and anglican74 like this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Ouch! I am greatly distressed by such people who mislead the faithful. That doesn't sound like anything Anglican at all. I'm glad you left! I've walked into a few of such 'gatherings' a long time ago when I was looking for a Church to make my home. There were several Charismatic Catholic and Charismatic Anglican churches which I had the great misfortune to witness.

You should really tell the priest to take down the misinformation about his parish being an Anglican one, and send an email to the Bishop that these people are lying and misleading the faithful. The church in Canada is extremely shakey; they cannot afford to have some parish delude the good people into being what it's not.

Aidan and Madeline like this.
  3. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

I would have left too. I have heard that there are some conservative/traditional ANIC churches out there. I found one that was mostly conservative when I was in Windsor, but they too favored things charismatic and WO. Perhaps one of the other two, in your area, is more suitable, unless distance is an issue. I am not sure of the proximity either have to Montreal.

Madeline likes this.
  4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I like the idea of being open to the Spirit, and I would like to think that real Anglicanism, and real Anglicans are open to being led by the Spirit to the Father through Jesus the Son.

My experience of people in the charismatic movement has been a little nerve wracking, often dismissive of theology, the fathers, the tradition, the liturgy, and embracing a subjective view of salvation which puts the believer at the centre of the experience in a subjective kind of way, and claiming some level of authority for their proclamations which is unable to be tested or questioned because they have it on a direct personal line from the Holy Spirit.

Perhaps we need some of it when we have become too rigid, but I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The Fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control.

Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.

5. Madeline

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you all very much for the thoughtful replies and advice. I'm still mulling over what to do. I think that if people want to have a Charismatic get-together, it's fine - but don't call yourselves traditional Anglicans.

Philip, thanks for this:

I like the idea of being open to the Spirit, and I would like to think that real Anglicanism, and real Anglicans are open to being led by the Spirit to the Father through Jesus the Son.
    I'm very much in agreement. Christian mysticism has a real pull on my heart, and I had a long involvement with Quakerism, and still cherish many of those values. I guess it's just that the mysticism part for me is expressed in stillness, deep listening, prayer and meditation.

Christina, Aidan and Andy like this.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    The earliest fathers whom Catholis sometimes look to for inspiration and guidance were all quiet mystics who shunned noisy and loud people

Christina likes this.
  7. Madeline

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks for that, Aidan.

Lately I feel like an Anglican Goldilocks - one church is too high, one is too huggy, one is too nutty...

I miss oh so much my cradle church, the one I grew up with, where we had Morning Prayers, and Vespers and Compline, and the BCP.

Andy likes this.
  8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Madeline, I do empathise.

Last Sunday, travelling, I went to a parish church which took me back. They are still using the 1978 AAPB rite, and in so many ways it was so much like the Church of my teenage and early twenties, in so many ways. I was certainly not offended, or excited, and I have to say I didn't mind it, but I know that this is not where I am today. For me this was the faith of the launching pad, and I guess I can see it was never going to sustain me for ever.

I know I too seem a little restless of late, and I trust that is the restlessness that God calls us to. I find myself reminding myself that if I ever found a perfect church I would only muck it up by joining. I think we need places that are comfortable enough to belong and uncomfortable enough for us to grow. I think I know what the means. I know I would like a church that didn't chatalot before mass!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  9. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Is it really possible to be too high?

Lowly Layman likes this.