''Am I too gay for God?''

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Peteprint, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We will have to re-evangelize our Mother Church, and our Mother Country (England is the mother of the world we all live in today). Let's enjoy that, it'll be glorious.

Liturgyworks, dariakus and Peteprint like this.
  3. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    If all bishops were like the one in the short clip, it would not be too difficult to predict what would happen.....
    Just wondering why they always shortchange themselves (like the vicar(?) in the clip) by coming up with Leviticus, rather than with some NT passages, e.g Romans 1 as well. Not that Leviticus is invalid of course.

4. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I could not watch the documentary because I simply do not want to watch their attempts at persuading me that God and the Bible are wrong.

To me it is a complete contradiction that a man can claim to be a Christian, even to be a priest, and to claim he wants to marry another man. If he is gay there is nothing he can do about that. It is a cross God gave him to bear. But, men cannot marry each other. That is God's law not man's.

For two men having sex is fornication; it is a very serious sin. We could all go around claiming that a particular sin is unfair because it prevents us from doing what we want. Perhaps I should petition the Church to allow men to have more than one wife. That way I would not be committing sin by wanting to have a 'younger model'.

I did, of course, write the above in jest, and showed it to my wife, who gave me one of her looks, but knew it was a joke. It is simply ridiculous that we claim it is unfair because we cannot commit the sin we want to commit. If the priest in that link is a genuine and honest man he should resign his living and cease to exercise his priestly ministry if he wants to enter into a long-term and constant state of serious sin.

5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    For more than two thousand years, people have known that homosexual acts are sins. The truth has not changed, but the social environment is enabling people to have their false, self-justifying arguments accepted by the large bulk of the population who do not know their Bibles well enough to stand for the truth.

Unquestionably, some people feel a strong physical attraction toward members of the same sex. The existence of this attraction does not give them moral license to indulge in their desires. A married person might strongly desire to have relations with a non-spouse, but neither the existence nor the 'naturalness' of that desire acts as a license to fulfill the desire. Nor does a strong desire for money justify theft.

The man should be saying, "I feel this terribly strong temptation; please pray that God will give me strength to resist." The fact that he's seeking approval to engage in habitual sin indicates that he is unfit to serve in his current capacity. He is most certainly setting a horrible example for Christians and Christianity.

Anglo-cracker, Stalwart and Juliana like this.