A new vocation

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by JoeLaughon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I've not been here long but if you could pray for me (and my wife) that would be appreciated.

Since I was young I thought my vocation would be in the military. Did the Sea Cadets as a high schooler, studied for it in college, did well on my tests, worked out for the physical tests, only to just this year find out that due to medication used nearly a decade ago for a short while I am basically banned from military service. I am looking into a few avenues but I don't feel terrific about the potential for overcoming this obstacle.

So in short, I am totally bewildered as to what to do. The vocation I felt like the Lord was preparing me for and giving me success in my pursuit of it has totally fallen through and I feel stranded and more than a little melancholy. Any prayers would be appreciated.

2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Rest assured Joe, God most definitely has a plan for you and your beloved wife and He will reveal it to you in His own good time.

3. JoeLaughon

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Thanks Aidan!

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Do you think this looks like a case of persecution, in that in the short time I've known of you, you seem like a solid, strong Christian, and they are rapidly trying to un-Christianize the military...

Also, what options do you have for an appeal, because surely there must be a due process involved...

5. JoeLaughon

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I sincerely doubt it. The CG didn't know my faith and the Army recruiter struggled to find "Christian - Anglican" on the list. This sort of bureaucratic disqualification is not at all unheard of.

As an update: I had a good interview with my Army National Guard recruiter. I'm not letting myself go over the moon but there may be a possibility to get my diagnosis (such as it was) discounted.

Aidan and Botolph like this.