a confession

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by mark fisher, Aug 25, 2022.

1. mark fisher

mark fisher Member Anglican

canada
    Religion:
    high church anglican
    for many years i identified as an athest but i was still privetly a Cristian what penance shoud i make to get forgiveness

2. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    Repent, believe in the good news that Christ has paid the price for your sins and you have been forgiven.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    :laugh: Your penance shall be to learn to spell 'atheist', 'privately', 'Christian' and spell 'i' with a capital letter, by writing them out 100 times and handing it in to me at break tomorrow. :laugh: After that, (actually even before that), no penance necessary because you clearly know how to spell FORGIVENESS properly and must therefore appreciate it when it comes to you free and for nothing straight from God.

Isn't our God wonderful!

Listen2Cranmer likes this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Penance, hmm. Clearly you should donate a million dollars to me, and I will pray and light candles for you daily. :laugh:

If you're sorry and you've told God so, you are forgiven. No penance.

Othniel likes this.
  5. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I recommend issues like this be taken up with your priest, spiritual director and/or confessor.

There are plenty of good books on the market to teach basic grammar and correct spelling.:)

For your identity issues your family doctor may be able to recommned a good therapist.:D

6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The main thing is that you no longer deny Jesus before men, and consequently He will no longer deny you before the Father. :thumbsup:

Jesus paid "in full" the penalty for our sins at the cross. There is nothing any of us can do to help pay for them; acts of penance are somewhat akin to telling the benefactor who already paid off your home mortgage, "I don't believe you paid it off completely, and I insist upon sending in my own payments." If we regard God's payment as "not good enough," we are not living in the faith; we are still indebted up to our eyeballs in sin and we can never work off that debt no matter how hard we try!

7. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Parable of the Prodigal and His Brother
    Then Jesus said, ‘There was a man who had two sons. The younger of them said to his father, “Father, give me the share of the property that will belong to me.” So he divided his property between them. A few days later the younger son gathered all he had and travelled to a distant country, and there he squandered his property in dissolute living. When he had spent everything, a severe famine took place throughout that country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed the pigs. He would gladly have filled himself with the pods that the pigs were eating; and no one gave him anything. But when he came to himself he said, “How many of my father’s hired hands have bread enough and to spare, but here I am dying of hunger! I will get up and go to my father, and I will say to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son; treat me like one of your hired hands.’ ” So he set off and went to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him. Then the son said to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.” But the father said to his slaves, “Quickly, bring out a robe—the best one—and put it on him; put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. And get the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found!” And they began to celebrate.

‘Now his elder son was in the field; and when he came and approached the house, he heard music and dancing. He called one of the slaves and asked what was going on. He replied, “Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fatted calf, because he has got him back safe and sound.” Then he became angry and refused to go in. His father came out and began to plead with him. But he answered his father, “Listen! For all these years I have been working like a slave for you, and I have never disobeyed your command; yet you have never given me even a young goat so that I might celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours came back, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fatted calf for him!” Then the father said to him, “Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. But we had to celebrate and rejoice, because this brother of yours was dead and has come to life; he was lost and has been found.” ’
    ~ Luke 15.11-32

Tell me, what penance did the father expect of his prodigal son?

You were lost and now you are found. You are the prodigal son in this parable, trying to put yourself into hired service to your Father so you can justify being fed. But you have already been justified. You are a child of God. What father could overcome their joyous love when their child returns, and not let them back into the family? You were dead, and now you are alive - that is enough. Rejoice! Your penance is to love God with your whole heart, anything more is unnecessary. Salvation is free and salvation is near for all those who believe, no matter if they were profligate and wicked for most of their lives, or if they were loyal and tilled the fields every day for their Father. You are unworthy of God's grace, yes, but none of us are. Christ's sacrifice justifies all believers - your sins and failings are no worse than anyone else's.

dhm, Rexlion and Tiffy like this.