My problem with Apologetics

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by AnglicanAgnostic, Aug 6, 2024.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I too am quite happy to be labeled a non-Evangelical by Evangelicals. I try to avoid being included with most groups whose schools descriptions end with 'ism'. I much prefer the term evangelistic as a description of my churchmanship.

Invictus likes this.
  2. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I don't get into the scientific problems too much. Such as why didn't all the seawater fish or maybe the fresh water fish die in the great flood. I sort of like the biblical textual problems the most.
    And is it acceptable to start a sentence with "and" ?

Br. Thomas likes this.
  3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    The same inerrantist principle applies to those as to the scientific problems: when two verses appear to contradict one another, the plain sense of one of them “must” be denied. So Jehoiachin didn’t “reign” for those extra 10 years, he “co-reigned.” And Jesus “must” have been speaking metaphorically or hyperbolically when he prophesied that “not one stone (in the Temple) would be left upon another,” since portions of the outer wall remain intact to this day. Or when passages contain what appear to be unnecessary repetitions, each repetition “must” be communicating a distinct lesson not contained in the other. And so on. Denying the plain sense of the problematic verse is always the solution. The difficult part is coming up with a framing narrative to justify the denial, and that’s where you see the creativity of the traditional commentaries really shine. There’s no substitute for reading the commentaries themselves. It’s their treatment of grey areas that makes them fun to read. However, as time goes by, the progress of sustained investigation has made many of the old explanations less plausible, which takes us back to the original problem. What happens to the precedent of co-regency in the reign of David and Solomon, for example, if there’s no consensus that one or both of them were actual historical persons?

4. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed… Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. (James 5:12/ Morning Prayer Readings Tuesday after Trinity 19)

Br. Thomas likes this.
  5. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I don't see this bit in any versions of James 5:12 that I have perused. Or come to think of it none of it looks familiar to James 5:12.:dunno:

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Looks like James 5:20 to me and most others.