Feast of Saint Mark the Evangelist

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Bert Gallagher, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Bert Gallagher

Bert Gallagher New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    How do you celebrate the Feast of Saint Mark the Evangelist tomorrow (April 25)? I am looking for ways to celebrate. Does anyone read certain scriptures, cook certain foods, or follow certain traditions with their family?

Nevis likes this.
  2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I Australia we tend to move Mark and celebrate the day as ANZAC Day. It is the national commemoration of those who have served, and especially in conflict. Our loss on the Gallipoli Peninsula was ingrained in the soul of this nation, perhaps more so than the Federation.

Mark is normally celebrated on the 26th, or the Sunday that falls in the octave. It tends to be low-key in Australia as ANZAC is such a big thing.

Bert Gallagher likes this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Here is the entry from the 1st edition of Church of England's Exciting Holiness, which I tend to use when I want to find resources for a feast day: https://www.excitingholiness.org/first-edition/index.cgi?m04/d25.html

I've never been affiliated with a parish named after St. Mark. I do enjoy his Gospel and tend to use it with my confirmation students. In fact, my expectation is that they read the Gospel in the entirety.

Botolph likes this.