Favourite Father?

Discussion in 'Church History' started by Elmo, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Who is your favourite Church Father?

Bert Gallagher likes this.
  2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    My answer depends on how you define the Church Fathers.

If we're using the Orthodox definition ( which holds that the patristic period is ongoing and continues past John of Damascus) then my answer would be
    St. Gregory Palamas.

If we're using the traditional Western position that cuts off the patristic period at John of Damascus then my answer would be St. Benedict of Nursia or
    St. Anthony the Great (an honorable mention is Boethius who has had a profound impact on my faith journey).

If we're using the Early Church definition that cuts off at 325 then I'd go with Clement of Alexandria.

Finally, if we include the full list of Desert Fathers then I'd have to go with Evagrius of Ponticus or St. Pachomius.

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Rexlion likes this.
  4. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Must you always be so passive-aggressive when asked a basic question?

Who is your favourite Church Father?

5. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    It’s a toss-up. Either Origen, Gregory of Nazianzus, Nicholas of Myra, or Augustine of Hippo. Probably Augustine.

Spiritus and Elmo like this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I am a fan of St. Gregory of Nazianzus. I am also an admirer of St. Benedict, having learned he was never ordained. Another lowly layman who nevertheless made a big impact on Christian monasticism.

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Whose idea was it to want to be called 'Father' by followers of Jesus Christ. When did that tradition first get off the ground in the Christian church?

If there was any of them that refused to let anyone, unrelated in that way, call him 'Father', on the ground that Jesus Christ told us not to call anyone but God 'our father', then he would be my favourite one, since it would be he who probably was taking the rest of the teachings of our master most seriously, so thus being more deserving of the title than any of the others insisting on being called 'Father', against Christ's advice to his disciples.

I once had a Master at Arms, when I was serving as a Chief PO in the Royal Navy that insisted on me addressing him in conversation as 'Master' when replying to him, instead of 'Master at Arms'. (A Master at Arms is not a commissioned officer, so is not addressed as 'Sir'). I refused, saying "I have only one 'Master', Jesus Christ, and he significantly out-ranks you Master at Arms."

Niblo and Rexlion like this.
  8. Elmo

Elmo Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Paul.

Paul called himself 'father'.

Why must super-Protestants always come on these threads and turn it into some debate? This is not historically controversial stuff.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  9. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Of all the things to take too literally. It’s like evangelicals who end all their prayers with “in Jesus’ name.” :facepalm: The English Reformers had no problem referring to “the Fathers,” FWIW; I don’t feel any particular need to outdo their piety. ;)

Niblo and Elmo like this.
  10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    They didn't have any bother with not swearing oaths in court either, even though Jesus preferred only an affirmation from us. :yes: :laugh: Though they did leave it as a bit of an afterthought, all the way back at Article 39. :wicked: :laugh:

11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Ok I'll play fair on this now, and I apologise for messing with your thread. I don't have a favourite Church Father because I am ignorant of most of their characteristics and achievements. I have not researched their lives or their writings. There, I'm being honest. Most of my theological influences came directly from the canon of scripture and the liturgy of the churches I have served Christ in.

The four people who most influenced my development as a disciple of Christ though, (so they could be labelled my 'favourites'), were The Rev. Stanley Wincott, (my tutor and priest, as a child in the CofE), The lives of - St Francis of Assisi and Sadhu Sundar Singh, and the writings of C. S. Lewis.

Along the way I have enjoyed the works of Jaques Ellul, John Drane, Robert Farrar Capon, Alister McGrath, Phillip Yancy and Walter Wink. Among many others.

Having said all that, I greatly admire Didymus the Blind, A Desert Father, who didn't actually live in the desert, who was affectionately called by his friends in the faith, Didymus the Insightful.

I particularly like him because he believed in the apokatastasis. Shows he was a kindly sort.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  12. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

On Facebook I read a post by none other than Anglican.net on this point that stated:

Elmo and Br. Thomas like this.
  13. Tom Barrial

Tom Barrial Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm an Augustine fan boy

Niblo, Br. Thomas and Elmo like this.
  14. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Me, too. I use the Saint Augustine Prayer Book daily.

Magistos and Elmo like this.
  15. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I have been reading St.Basil and his brother St. Gregory this year

Br. Thomas and Elmo like this.
  16. Niblo

Niblo Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    Of course, you could have called him 'Jaunty'

17. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Not unless you'd enjoy 14 days No.9's. :laugh:

Niblo likes this.
  18. Niblo

Niblo Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    Excellent! :clap:

Had a friend many decades ago. Lived in Pompey. Was a former 'Killick Crusher'. Lovely title.

Served in the Arctic Convoys WW2.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024