What is a “Preface” noted after most prayers?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by tooblu, May 31, 2023.

1. tooblu

tooblu New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    What is a “Preface”?

For example, after most prayers in the Collects there is a note like “Preface of Advent” or “Preface of Lent”.

What do these notes mean? Are they instructions?

Is it something that is to be read after the prayer? If so, why is it called a “Preface” if it comes *after* the prayer?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Is this some sort of a 1979 BCP feature? I don’t remember seeing that in the 1928 or the 1662 bcp..

3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think it is a reference to the 2019 BCP which I think is used in ACNA.

The Proper Prefaces start around page 152 of that book, which would serve as a seasonal preface to the Prayer of Consecration in the rite. I note that I am not a member of ACNA, that their members would be more likely to provide accurate information, however on the surface, that is what I would understand.

anglican74 likes this.
  4. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

In the 1979 BCP (and 2019 as well), it refers to which Proper Preface to insert before the Sanctus at Communion. The Proper Prefaces are usually printed in or around the text of the Communion service; it varies depending on which BCP edition you have. For example...

anglican74 likes this.
  5. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Basically, the Church calendar has two cycles: Seasonal and Sanctoral. Feast Days in each cycle have a certain rank. Sometimes those cycles conflict. In any case, the prayers associated with whichever feast has the higher rank (for that day) are the “Proper” of that day. The Prefaces for Communion are the Proper prayers that occur toward the beginning of the rite, and they are located in their own section of the BCP. Make sense?

anglican74 likes this.
  6. tooblu

tooblu New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am using the ACNA BCP 2019 as @Botolph correctly determined—sorry, I should have included that information in my original post.

I see now that a preface can be selected from the Proper Prefaces.

In particular, in the Daily Office, say Daily Morning Prayer, when it is time for The Collect of the Day, the collect is determined for that day. Is the preface to be read after the prayer?

7. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

The Proper Prefaces aren't even complete sentences, so saying them after the Collect won't really make sense because the Collects aren't designed for tag-ons like that.

Having said that, reading and reflecting on them can be inspiring and instructive, since (on feast days) they comment on the theme of the celebration. I always recommend spending more time with the BCP. Maybe just quietly go over it after you're done with Morning Prayer?

8. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Proper Prefaces are used during the Communion service. They serve as an introduction to the Canon of the Mass/ Consecration prayers and are inserted immediately before the Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy. . .)

Fr. Brench, Botolph and Invictus like this.
  9. tooblu

tooblu New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think I’m starting to catch on.

Prefaces are used in services, especially the Eucharist. They are not really intended for the Daily Office. They are noted after Collects so you know which Preface to use by first finding which Collect applies, first.

Am I close?

It *seems* like it *could* work for the officiant to read the Preface before the Collect in the Daily Office. Or, is that just ridiculous?

Botolph likes this.
  10. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think you are getting there.

The Preface is sung or said alone by the priest after the Sursum Corda (The Lord be with you/Lift up your hearts/Let us give thanks to the Lord) and before the Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God of Hosts). It is the Preface to the Eucharistic Prayer.

I cannot comment on whether indicating which Preface to use on a particular day is best indicated after the Collect but that is its sole purpose; that is, to inform the priest which Preface to use that day. It is not there for the priest, or anytone else, to pray it after the Collect.

Tiffy, Shane R and Invictus like this.
  11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    The Preface for the day or season is always specifically a preamble to one of the standard prayers of consecration.