Closed forum

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Laine, May 29, 2023.

1. Laine

Laine Member

I would post more if this were a "members only," closed forum, i.e., posts not visible to the world, open the search engines. I would ask the admin group to seriously consider this in light if today's climate. Thanks.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Thank you for the suggestion!

Doesn’t the anonymity of all accounts protect you from the current climate?

And by keeping it public, aren’t we bearing public witness, showing people that Christians in 2023 talk like they’ve always done?

3. Laine

Laine Member

There are several threads that, if I replied to, could reveal my identity. I suppose I'm an anomaly, but I did have some useful information to share that I decided to forego.

I do understand the advantage of having searchable content (how I found this site in the first place), but a "hide my post from searches and quote functions" button, if there is such an option (!) could be helpful to others at times.

Oh well . . . just a thought. Thanks.

4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    One option comes to mind: private messages. One can use the PM feature to include several members or to allow additional members to be invited to it, and a completely private discussion may ensue.

Laine likes this.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

My first thought was, maybe we could have a private section of the Forums, that would answer your needs, where people could post personal information.

My second thought was, such a section would become a magnet for infiltration from unsavory officials. Such a section would not be in your best interest.

Which led to the third thought, that you really should not post personal information anywhere on the internet. Nobody should expect that from you. Keep it to private DMs, as Rexlion said.

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The internet is not a private space.

7. Laine

Laine Member

Probably best to keep it zipped anyway, but I understand and appreciate the conundrum.

8. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I do not believe I have posted on here anything that I would consider confidential or that could identify or locate me. All it takes is a little time and thought about how you write or express something so that it does not reveal information you do not want to share.

9. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    You piqued our curiosity, and now you won't spill the beans? Argh, the emotional suspense! The torture! :laugh:

10. Laine

Laine Member

I shall remember to PM you, Rexlion, the next time I have revealing insight on a pressing topic you might find helpful. Sorry for being overly cautious. :blush:

Stalwart and Rexlion like this.
  11. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    By its very nature anybody could become a member. With the administrators approval I have a closed/hidden forum for a special interest group but making the entire forum closed would defeat the purpose of the forum.

Did you use your first name as your user name and is that contributing to your concern about being identified? Perhaps you could register again with a more anonymous name?

12. Laine

Laine Member

My user name is made-up so that isn't the issue. Everything is fine. As PDL said, I need to put more thought into my replies should I want to use specific examples from life experiences.