New to Anglicanism

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Zacharoni, May 27, 2023.

1. Zacharoni

Zacharoni New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello all, I recently decided to become an Anglican, I was baptized as a Baptist and didn't really question my beliefs. However, since gaining Catholic friends in college, I gained an appreciation of beauty in worship, how they view the Eucharist (not some picture of sacrifice but what Christ said it was), and the church history behind it all.
    However, I am unable to accept all aspects of Catholicism, as outlined in the 39 Articles of Religion. In looking for another high church tradition, I looked at Lutheranism and Anglicanism and decided that I'd like to pursue becoming Anglican.

I'm going to start attending an Anglican church (with traditional values) near my college after summer break, beforehand I'd like to brush up on Anglican theology and practice. What are some books I should read concerning Anglicanism, or even protestant and/or high church doctrine? Outside of the BCP of course.

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Zacharoni likes this.
  3. ByOldEyes

ByOldEyes Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    John Jewel, Apology of the Church of England. This is a short polemical book from the reformation time. Take care to cross reference quotes from the church fathers as not all of them are genuine (not the author's fault; many forgeries were in circulation at the time).

Louis Tarsitano's An Outline of an Anglican Life. Easy reading, great little introductory book. It's written in question-and-answer style.

If you want a detailed scriptural and historical arguments for almost every jot and tittle of the 39 articles, Edward Harold Browne's Exposition of the 39 Articles is a gem.

Zacharoni likes this.
  4. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    If you wish a view of the Anglican Catholic Church, the Archbishop/Metropolitan, Most Rev. Mark Haverland, has published a book called, "Anglican Catholic:Faith & Practice". It is published by the Anglican Parishes Association publishers. Its ISBN is 0-9777148-0-2.....its Third Edition.

Zacharoni likes this.
  5. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Gerald Bray has become something of an ideologue in recent years, flirting with the edges of orthodoxy and often celebrating Puritan-adjacent and other dissenters.. A strong ‘pass’ for anyone looking to understand historic Anglicanism

The Oxford History of Anglicanism -purports to be comprehensive, but only starts in the 1500s which is a jaw-dropping distortion of how Anglicans have always seen their history

7. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    In addition to the sources I mentioned above, I would also recommend the Canterbury Studies in Spiritual Theology series, the individual volumes of which consist of selections from writers representative of the broad spectrum of Anglican tradition, such as Thomas Cranmer, Lancelot Andrewes, the Caroline Divines, John and Charles Wesley, F.D. Maurice, William Temple, and others.