Holy Day Devotions

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Adam Warlock, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I praise God for His angels, who are always veiling their faces at the sight of Eternity Himself. My personal devotion is to read and meditate on the Revelation 22:8-9

Though the angel in this passage does not say human beings are family with the angels, there is a truth in his use of "fellow servant".

God created all the Seraphim and Cherubim. In His Spirit they live and have their being. By the same Spirit of God and the Word, we human beings breathe and move. In the Cross, the incarnate word Jesus Christ became nothing, that we who are made from nothing may share in His fullness. Because He has drawn our human nature into the Godhead by His glorious resurrection, our hearts all beat with one heart: Christ's.

We have been adopted and grafted into Christ's very nature by the spiritual laver of Baptism; thus, His Spirit is now our Spirit. Therefore, even the angels are now our familial brethren by the Spirit. We are literally related by Blood, the Blood of Christ, to all that God has created - even the seemingly infinite hosts of heaven.

To meditate on this is ultimately to meditate on the dignity of every human being you meet.

2. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Please don't teach and speculate on this thread. This is specifically for Holy Day prayers, traditions, and customs - for those who observe them. We want to stay on topic.

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican

I gave my specific devotion on the holy day of St. Michael and all the angels. It is a meditation specially devoted to the day. :) That's what this thread is for isn't it? Do personal devotions count as much as bake-sales and liturgical traditions?

4. Adam Warlock

Devotions are great. Maybe we're using the word differently? I'd just prefer if we could steer clear of teaching things that aren't exactly on-topic (or are speculative), as this will lead to thread derailment.

5. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    I've been sick lately unfortunately thought I missed Michaelmas then turned out it was last Sunday I was serving! I made it. It was pretty great we used Eucharist prayer D in the 1979 BCP and sang songs about angels. It was a very uplifting service.

Adam Warlock likes this.
  6. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    I observed Holy Guardian Angels on Oct.2 by invoking my Guardian Angel on that day

Adam Warlock likes this.
  7. Adam Warlock

Tonight is the Eve of the Feast of St. Luke! For those who use the 1979 BCP, the Evening Prayer readings for tonight are on p. 1001. This might also be a good time to begin Evening Prayer with the Service of Light, found on p. 109. I haven't been able to find any special customs/traditions/foods for St. Luke's Day (other than offering thanks to God for Luke's role in spreading the Gospel!).

8. Adam Warlock

Collect for the Feast of St. Luke (BCP p. 244):
    Almighty God, who inspired your servant Luke the physician to set forth in the Gospel the love and healing power of your Son: Graciously continue in your Church this love and power to heal, to the praise and glory of your Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen.