John Merbecke

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by Nosegay of Virtues, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Nosegay of Virtues

Nosegay of Virtues New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican Church of Canada
    Anybody here come from a parish that still uses the Merbecke BCP setting at Sung Eucharist/Mass? I really miss that. To this day I can't see the words of the Gloria or the Nicene Creed without hearing it in my head.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Mostly in our Diocese, we use Dudman, which I feel was largely Merbecke revisited for the new rite. Dudman was a former Cathedral Organist in this Diocese if memory serves me correctly. I like a setting that is within the capacity of a Parish Congregation but can still work with some frilly extras in the Cathedral with a fabulous choir.

Nosegay of Virtues likes this.
  3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Rhythm is an aid to memory. I can only recite the creed and gloria purely from memory by singing it to Marbecke. I still lapse into BCP language occasionally when reciting CW words for creed and Gloria from memory even though I think the CW version phrasiology of the creed is the more comprehensible to the modern mind.

4. Nosegay of Virtues

Nosegay of Virtues New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican Church of Canada
    I'm exactly the same re memory! Isn't that funny? I love the way the melody tracks with the liturgy.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    At my previous parish the organist only knew Merbecke and Willan and my Rector didn't like to sing the parts in Willan. There was a time when I was going through a health problem, as the Curate, and couldn't hit the tone for either one. He privately told her to downtune a third or whatever it took to get a reciting tone I could match. Some months after surgery my pitch came back.