Queen Elizabeth II has passed on

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Ananias, Sep 8, 2022.

1. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    There is nothing to love. They are self-serving and selfish. There is no basis to believe they were treated badly by the Royal Family. Harry was known for being one of the Queen's favoured grandchildren. He is quite obviously petulant and has no real cause for complaint. He wants to distance himself from the Royal Family but it is the Royal Family they trade on. Neither of them has anything else going for them. They are spoilt rich brats.

We can all have disagreements with our families. What we don't do is set up an interview with someone as famous as Oprah Winfrey and give an interview they know is going to be watched in many countries and call Harry's family. If I had been the Queen I'd have told him never to darken these shores again. He's a public disgrace.

It is also worth remembering the Diana was no saint and it annoys me the way people canonise her.

2. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Meghan wasn't a very good actress, either.

3. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)

Disagree on almost every count.

4. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have never seen her act so I shall accept your word for that.

DadHocHypothesis likes this.
  5. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    That's your prerogative.

The Sussexes are super-rich. Homeless people have good reason for complaint. They don't.

The Sussexes chose to leave the Royal Family. They were not exiled. The only cause they have for fame is their link to the Royal Family. Despite wanting to leave the Royal Family and forge their own lives they do so by trading on their royal connections. You only have to look at their fury when The Queen told them this was unacceptable.

If you want respect you earn it. You do not earn it by asking someone who could well be described as the world's most famous interviewer to interview you so you can publicly criticise your own family.

They are beneath contempt in my opinion. Don't even bother trying to convince me otherwise. The facts speak for themselves.

Br. Thomas and bwallac2335 like this.
  6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I don't really follow the royals but I have a hard time understanding why Harry has earned such especial ire from some here. I am under no illusions that he is perfect, but when standing next to the likes of Prince Andrew and, dare I say it, King Charles, Harry doesn't seem the knave you all make him out to be.

Duty is important. But any man worth his salt knows his first duties are to God, his wife, and children. For the first, the duty is obedience. For the second, the duty is fidelity. For the last, the duty is protection. Jmo but an adulterer shirks his duty to all.

Annie Grace likes this.
  7. Annie Grace

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)

I never try to convince people - opinions are just that - opinions, and as you say, it is our prerogative to have our own. I could list my reasons as you have done (are you trying to convince me? Silly person.) but I know that no one really holds an opinion without what they consider to be really good reasons for that opinion and 'facts' are often 'alternative facts' as we have witnessed. Suffice it to say that you have your 'facts' and I have mine.

I truly dislike the whole concept of hereditary monarchy and am glad the Sussexes escaped. I respect Queen Elizabeth for living a life of dedication and service - she was a product of a different age and she served her country well. There is no more need for a monarchy now. I can't wait until Australia finally drops the whole 'royal thing'. It isn't necessary to us anymore.

8. Annie Grace

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    Silly to judge her on that stupid show - the writing was bad and none of the actors looked very good because of it. I watched probably three episodes and gave up - stupid show.

I think she had to be a pretty good actress to act like she actually enjoyed being around any of those royals for any length of time, especially the adulterer Charles and his 'consort' along with the sex offender Andrew and his non-estranged wife. None of them really wanted her there from the beginning and a big part of that was her mixed race heritage. I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did and I admire Harry for standing by her.

9. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I understand something of what are saying, however I dread the mess that will be made of the alternative.

ZachT likes this.
  10. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have some pretty special ire for Prince Andrew in a much more un-christian way. Harry is still redeemable. Andrew is not. I used to be unhappy with Charles too, and I daresay some of his own selfishness helped cement Harry in taking the extreme opposite course of his father, but I've since gotten over it.

My tension with Meghan is that she knew what she was getting in for, and so shouldn't complain about things like "paparazzi" when, as an actress who lived in LA, she was probably more familiar with what she was about to experience than any other outsider has ever been in the history of any modern royal family. She chose to marry Harry, she wasn't born into it. That being said, she's an American. In my mind, she probably still doesn't really "get it". She doesn't understand the importance of the monarchy to the political stability of 14 democracies, the whole thing probably seems a little absurd. For this reason she gets a lighter pass than Harry

My tension with Harry is that he does get it. He was raised and taught exactly what his life means and how important his duty is. He gets a life of extreme privilege and pomp, but he has to give up certain things in exchange, for the good of people outside himself. He's been chosen (in the historical view, by God) for this life of juxtaposed privilege and sacrifice, and he was raised to live up to it. And he certainly enjoyed the privilege part of the deal. Relishing the extra liberties the second-in-line son gets, he frolicked around the world partying naked with a different girlfriend each week as the "playboy prince" while William stayed home not getting into trouble. He gourged himself on other people's money, and gave them only controversy back (e.g. the scandals of dressing up as a Nazi, then not learning his lesson and dancing around his barracks with a towel on his head like Bin Landen and so on), and we all tolerated it as a young prince doing young prince things. Then when he finally settles down, gets married, is made Duke of Sussex and so on he can't even make it to two years of giving back before he quits, moves to America and makes millions of dollars selling podcasts no one would listen to if his royalty wasn't attached to it. He conned the system so he could continue the privileged part of the life, without the duty and sacrifice side. It's revolting. It's the stuff guillotines are made for.

Tiffy and Invictus like this.
  11. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Some of you folks across the pond certainly get riled (one way and another) over the royals. From my point of view, it doesn't even amount to a good soap opera. I don't care enough to have a strong opinion about the lot of them. With the exception of the queen who now lies in state, that is; she had my respect because she conducted herself royally and graciously, and I would have been delighted to chat and share some tea with her.

12. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Well said. I think you’ve pretty much “hit the nail on the head”, as we say in America.

13. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Even Andrew is redeemable. In fact he could still do much good if he wanted to. With his power and position he could fund and help many organizations that take on sex tracking and stuff. He can still repent but as for a person I would want to know or be around well I would pass on that.

14. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
  15. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I, too, could down the degrading route of ad hominem attack but will not.

Just your opinion. There are arguments in its favour.

I don't know if that's a majority view in your country. Personally, it wouldn't bother me one iota if Australia decided to become a republic. Its an independent sovereign state and fully entitled to choose its own system of governance.

Further evidence you don't care for facts or the truth and probably not to concerned about libel.

It really would be nice if you could offer some evidence for this.

I think Meghan was upset because she probably thought she was going to become a fairy tale princes and be the star attraction in the Royal Family. She grossly miscalculated.

16. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Post deleted as posted in error.

17. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    As Christians we should believe everyone is redeemable. Andrew has never been convicted of any criminal offence. He settled a lawsuit out of court and I'm still puzzled why he did. I can't see how a British citizen here in the UK can be worried about a civil lawsuit in the USA. To me the simple answer is never go to the USA again.

There is much inuendo about the Duke of York. What we don't know is if he did anything criminally wrong or if he was just stupid and associated with the wrong people.

Botolph likes this.
  18. Annie Grace

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    Hiding your head in the sand doesn't make things go away.

19. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I never hide my head in the sand. However, I do not bother with gossip or tittle tattle. I am interested only in facts and evidence.

I am sure you would be the first to complainn if people made scurrilous claims about you.

If you do not have facts to offer I am not interested.

Gossip and tittle tattle are not charitable.

20. Annie Grace

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    It isn't just gossip and tittle tattle with Andrew. The interview with him made it abundantly clear that he was a friend of a pedophile and had no good defence against the charges made against him - that is why he settled and didn't want to go to court. I don't expect to convince you - that isn't my job. Common sense is either there or it isn't.