can anglican take sacraments from RCs

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by mark fisher, Sep 14, 2022.

1. mark fisher

mark fisher Member Anglican

canada
    Religion:
    high church anglican
    if anglicans are not able to get anglican sacraments can they get it from roman catholics

2. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)

The RCs would say no, but the Anglicans would probably say yes.

3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    The answer depends on whom you pose the question to.

The Roman Catholic Church would say no except in certain unusual circumstances.

In general, Anglicans practise open communion so the Anglican answer would have to be, yes, it's OK. However, I'm not sure any Anglican church would be overjoyed if you did this every Sunday rather than going to an Anglican church.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    As a former RC, I will not take RC communion under any circumstances. The RCC as a general policy would not want me to, and moreover I would not want to.

5. Melkite

Melkite Member

United States
    Religion:
    Melkite Catholic
    Yes and no. Ought you? No, the Roman Catholic Church practices limited open communion, only with the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox, the Assyrian Church of the East, and with the Polish National Catholic Church. Anglicans are not included in this.

Can you? Yes. No priest is going to stop you in the communion line and ask if you are allowed to receive communion. They will assume that you are respecting the church's directive in good faith. It will be between you and God that you aren't.

My question is, if you know you're not allowed to receive communion in the Catholic Church, why would you want to? If the Anglican church you belong to allows you to receive communion in a Catholic church, presumably that directive was made by someone who knows you're not actually permitted. In that case, why is your church actively being deceitful?

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    The simple answer to your question would be yes, sometimes. To elaborate on that answer:

Canon 844.3
    Catholic ministers administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist, and anointing of the sick licitly to members of Eastern Churches which do not have full communion with the Catholic Church if they seek such on their own accord and are properly disposed. This is also valid for members of other Churches which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition in regard to the sacraments as these Eastern Churches.

This canon is the one that includes churches like the PNCC. In some parts of the world bishops have made arrangements for certain Anglicans churches (those deriving holy orders through Orthodox, PNCC, or Old Catholic lines) to be included under this canon.

Canon 844.4
    If the danger of death is present or if, in the judgment of the diocesan bishop or conference of bishops, some other grave necessity urges it, Catholic ministers administer these same sacraments licitly also to other Christians not having full communion with the Catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who seek such on their own accord, provided that they manifest Catholic faith in respect to these sacraments and are properly disposed.

This is the other case where an Anglican could receive sacraments from RCC clergy. Again some bishops have made standing arrangements for Anglicans.

If one were to find themselves in a situation where they felt the need to receive sacraments from a member of the RCC clergy they would need to talk to the priest. They would explain their situation and the priest (hopefully under direction from the bishop) would advise them on the circumstances under which they could receive.

youngfogey and Shane R like this.
  7. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I tend to respect someone in their home. RCC doctrine excludes us (as do some Protestants like Lutherans). I am not interested in stirring up a fuss.

youngfogey and Invictus like this.
  8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    about 4 years ago I attended a Lutheran church (Missouri Synod) and their policy was to allow a Christian who "recognized the Body of Christ" within their Eucharist. Memorialists were not welcome to receive, therefore, but no problem for (most?) Anglicans.