Uniting Church to Atheist and now repentant Anglican

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Listen2Cranmer, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Listen2Cranmer

Listen2Cranmer New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I grew up in the Uniting Church of Australia but drifted away (don't know why) when I was a teenager. Over time grew stronger and stronger in my atheism and very argumentative (still argumentative but now batting for the other side).

It was my 10 year old son that brought me back to church. He became an avid watcher of a YouTube gamer that also happened to be Christian and wanted to go to church. He didn't like the modern service but liked the Anglo-Catholic tradition. Me too and so does my wife. We all got confirmed together this Easter.

So now we have been going every Sunday for the last two years. I feel at peace at church and like coming home.

I have to say theology has engaged me more than I might have thought and the constant soap-opera that is Anglican politics is also entertaining.

My one great and constant concern is I am 51 years old and if it wasn't for my son I would be the youngest in the church many of the times. It feels like I have found something good and they are calling "last drinks". What will happen in the next 10 years?

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome among us, and yes, we all get the struggle.

3. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    G'day, and welcome!

Your question on the demographic crisis facing many Anglican parishes is a tough one. As a young person its an idea that troubles me often. There are a few parishes I know that seem to do well at retaining young families, but for most parishes that's very much not the norm. I'm not the youngest church goer in my parish, but there's still far too few people around my age for me to pretend we're not heading towards the cliff as well - just a generation later than some.

I have some thoughts on church practices and arguments that would convince young people to return to faith, and I think many young people are crying out desperate for something to believe in, but I have no idea how to effect a cultural shift of that magnitude amongst the established elements of Christianity.

Stalwart likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Different provinces have different demographics. Here in the US, the Episcopal Church has an average age of 78; but, my own province ACNA is much younger with the average age in the 40s, so lots of kids, families, youth ministries.

But of course in most of the Anglican world, the average Anglican age is 25-27. You and I are experiencing "first world problems".

Rexlion likes this.
  5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I don't know about most parishes but my parish's average age has to be in the early 40's or late 30's. One of our most active members just turned 20 and is bringing what I assume to be his girlfriend to church. At the very least they sit together. I have not asked them yet officially on their title. We are a small parish with about 40 regulars so we should be seen as an outlier. There is one very large Anglican Church near us but I don't know its demographics. We have a lot of members in the married and starting families stages or hoping to get married soon and start a family stage.

6. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think one problem is that we Anglo-Catholics are under attack from the rest of the Church. I note the OP says his parish is Anglo-Catholic.

This can give us a defensive and entrenched mentality to protect ourselves. However, that creates a problem when new people come to church. They can initially be viewed with suspicion: who are they? what do they want? They will also undoubtedly pick up on this and feel unwelcome.

In Anglo-Catholic parishes we need to work harder in welcoming people and in greater engagement with the local community and wider church. I can't see us surviving otherwise.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I see the parish I am in have few younger-than-me worshippers, too. I am 70 and only see a handful of younger folks there each Sunday. I have no idea of how to get out into the community-at-large, as I do not reside in the community, but drive from a much smaller town to attend Mass each Sunday. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to look for advice or protocols for getting the invite out to the community? Ours is a mission-parish in a town with a very large immigrant population, many not here legally. So, those lines need to be not infringed upon, too. I am open to any advice.

Listen2Cranmer likes this.
  8. Listen2Cranmer

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have been thinking about it a lot, whenever I am walking the dog. Churches rarely advertise, so would flyers and Facebook ads at least get the word out. Once they are in, maybe an instruction book to explain what is going on. When I first went in I didn't understand anything, I liked it but I didn't understand it. Why is this cross being walked down the nave? When do I stand, sit or kneel? Why am I standing, sitting or kneeling? Why before communion do we stop and say "hi" to our neighbours. All very confusing. I researched it and think I now have a handle on it but that is a question I asked in 'questions'. Then what to do with the people that do stay. I regularly attended for year then took my wife and son to their baptism course then to our confirmation course, then Alpha and now looking for the next thing. My work hours don't allow me to do bible study as it always clashes. Churches could create a pathway so to keep the laity involved. Just a thought.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  9. Listen2Cranmer

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Have you written your thoughts an church practices and apologetics here, I am curious to know.

10. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not yet, I might make a thread this weekend.

11. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Perhaps we need some Tracts for our Times!?

12. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Our Lord will draw His people to Himself. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there will be church growth.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  13. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Don't fear. Christianity may be fading in the liberal Western nations, but worldwide it's growing robustly. Africa is the center of growth at this moment in time, but I have high hopes for Asia as well (especially China, if they can get rid of their repressive government).

In the West we tend to cycle between fallow periods and revival; I live in the US, and our cycle tends to move from revival to secularism and back again every century or so. The last big evangelical revival here was in the 1980's and the wave broke around the early 2000's; we are now living during the low-tide period. Denominations (the old mainline Protestant churches) are fading away. I'm not sure what will come to replace them. Protestantism in America is going to grow, but it won't be the Boomer evangelicalism of the past decades.

I think orthodox Anglicanism is going to do fine, though I think TEC is going to be defunct within a couple of decades. Many American Christians are like me: refugees from other Protestant churches who like the liturgical character of Anglican church practice and the episcopal form of church governance. Anglicanism is a tonic to the increasingly charismatic/Pentecostal strain of Christianity we see in America as well*. Christianity will survive and even thrive in America, though perhaps not to the degree that it did in former times.

Europe is a different story; I think they're one generation away from abandoning Christianity altogether. But again, there is a generational shift underway -- maybe after the Boomers are gone, the young 'uns will start having more of a say in their own cultures. Who knows? Maybe Europe is on the cusp of a great Revival too! With the help of the Holy Spirit, all things are possible.

*That's not a knock against faithful charismatics and Pentecostals. I think "prosperity Gospel" name-it-and-claim-it "Christianity" is heretical nonsense, but I don't lump all charismatics in with that group.

Rexlion likes this.
  14. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I have the same issue. My kid is 4, and doesn't want to go to the TEC church because there aren't any kids. He wants to go to the RCC church where there are others his age... he also attends the parochial school. I get your frustration.

15. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    Greetings in Christ JESUS

"last drinks" ???

John 7:v.37-38

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the Scripture hath said(imperative condition), out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

John 5:v.39-40

39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life:
    and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life?. (The Word is GOD. Great mystery) THE WORD IS GOD. GREAT MYSTERY. | Pure Bible Forum (and see www.sinaiticus.net )

John 6:v.37-40

37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last Day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last Day. (This Day arrived: It is the seventh and last Day, the Lord's Day, or seventh and last millennium, the millennium of Christ, the millennium of Vengeance, the millennium of the righteous Judgment of GOD, the Judgment Seat of Christ. By the way, we are living in the beginning of the first century of the seventh and last millennium. Jewish Calendar - How to explain the difference of exactly 240 years in the Jewish calendar? | Pure Bible Forum (and see www.sinaiticus.net )
    Take a look

May our Lord GOD bless us and keep us, and give us His protection
    Amen

In Christ JESUS, KING of kings(kings made by Him), and LORD of lords

Oseas

16. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    Accident post. Seems like this happens a lot with my phone

17. Fergus

Fergus New Member

Ulster
    Religion:
    Nomadic Presbyterian
    God will use the repented athiest to become the most effective evangelicals to the lost, for they have great authority! Keep doing what you're doing brother!

18. arik88

arik88 Member

mexico
    Religion:
    adventist
    Hello and welcome.