Three Days and Three Nights in Matthew 12:40

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by rstrats, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't understand. To what thinking about cross are you referring? And what does it have to do with this topic?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, the point is about "three-days-and-three-nights-in-matthew-12-40", and in my understand Scripture is truer. On Friday, when the even was come, that is, the day before the sabbath, Joseph Arimathaea went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus- Mat. 26:v.57 combined with Mark 15:v.42- and he took down the body of JESUS from the cross, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.

According to the Jewish system regarding the days of the week, Thursday (fifth day of the week)-ends at 6pm-sunset- and then at 6pm the 6th day begins-Friday- thus begins the 1st night of Friday. Then when the even was come, that is, the day before the sabbath, the body of JESUS was in the sepulchre in the night of Friday-first night-whose day will end at sunset-at 6pm-still day of Friday.
    And the body of was in the sepulchre at the night of Sabbath; second night-whose day will end at sunset-at 6pm - still day of Sabbath;
    And was in the sepulchre in the beginning of the night of Sunday-as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, whose day of Sunday will end at the sunset-at 6pm-that is still the third day. It's it.

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I think you will have to draw a diagram to convince restrats. You have a 'day begins at sunrise or perhaps midnight, not sunset' mentality to overcome. A labelled diagram might be even better.

3. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    According to the Jewish system regardings the days of the week, each day begins at sunset-at 6pm-, not on midnight like the Gentile people's system. In other words, to clarify better, the first day begins at sunset of sabbath at 6pm, understand? and ends in the next sunset at 6pm (so 24 hours/day, actually it's complicated, but it's it).

4. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA

That is an issue for a different topic. Unfortunately the topic title and OP were poorly conceived with regard to the intent of the topic. However, It has been clarified in a subsequent posts. Its only concern is with regard to the commonality of saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

BTW, I still don't understand what you mean or are referring to when you say my thinking about cross is from a human perspective.

5. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    If by "restrats" you mean "rstrats", convince me about what?

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Sorry I typed the moniker rather than cut and pasting it.

Convince you that scripture is not actually wrong about the number of days and nights in the tomb.

7. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    I haven't said that it is. What have I written which causes you to make the comment?

8. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    Tiffy,

In post #102 you wrote: "You have a 'day begins at sunrise or perhaps midnight, not sunset' mentality..."

Who does?

BTW, you have a question directed to you in post #107.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  9. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    He's saying you do.

Ancient Hebrews believed the new day began at sundown. For example, the Sabbath would begin when the sun set (around 6pm~ish), not at midnight, like we might incorrectly think because of our conception of when a day starts and ends. That's how they were able to eat feasts on the sabbath, even though they were forbidden from doing work like shopping or doing intense cooking. They would work on setting up their religious ceremonies until sunset, and then sit down to eat in the evening.

That means if Jesus died at the third hour, he died at 9pm, and went into the heart of the Earth (hell). So you could argue he was in hell for 3 nights and 2 days, or 2 nights and 2 days, but you cannot argue he was in hell for 2 nights and 3 days. The first 12 hours he is in the Earth is night time. You've got your conception of time backwards. The 3rd hour is 9pm, not 9am.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  10. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I thought they started the new day at sunrise and there were then 12 hours to sunset. Yes I know this makes an hour of variable time length throughout the year. As Jesus said "Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world." Jn 11:9.

And Mat 20: would tend to disagree with your theory.

20:1For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard.

2 And when he had agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.

3 And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace,

4 And said unto them; Go ye also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you. And they went their way.

5 Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise.

6 And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and saith unto them, Why stand ye here all the day idle?

11. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's not a theory. The Hebrew day begins in the evening. That's just the reality. You're reading things into those verses that aren't there. There are twelve hours in the day and twelve hours in the evening, but the evening begins the calendar day.

You've quoted the KJV as if looking to invent your point, I don't recall you usually defaulting to the KJV. The Greek translation says "and after about three hours". That's not the third hour after the day begins, that's three hours after verse 2. The post-Elizabethan English isn't even that hard to decipher in that verse.

12. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    If so, I wonder where he got the idea that I was beginning a day at sunrise or midnight?

How have I done that?

13. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA

Yes, the new daytime. But the new calendar day (as ZachT said) starts at sunset.

14. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The reason people have been frustrated with you in this very long thread is because of questions like this. I literally said how in the preceding sentences.

15. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Maybe your writings are being spiritualized instead of being interpreted with a literal hermeneutic. :biglaugh:

16. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA

ZachT,
    re: "So you could argue he was in hell for 3 nights and 2 days..."

Where have I done that? Please provide the number of the post.

re: "...or 2 nights and 2 days..."

Again, where have I done that?

re" "...but you cannot argue he was in hell for 2 nights and 3 days

Which would be true IF the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection.

re: "The first 12 hours he is in the Earth is night time. You've got your conception of time backwards."

Absolutely true. What have I got backwards?

17. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Come on friend. You attack people in other threads for their spelling errors, but don't take the time to read replies properly.

"You could argue..." implies you have not argued. So I didn't say you had said 3 nights and 2 days, or 2 days and 2 nights, I'm saying you could argue those things and still make sense.

"You cannot argue..." implies you have said something that is verifiable nonsense. You cannot argue for more days than nights, because the first 12 hours was an evening. This is why you have your conception of time backwards.

If Jesus was resurrected after 12 hours: 1 night 0 days
    If Jesus was resurrected after 24 hours: 1 night 1 day
    If Jesus was resurrected after 36 hours: 2 nights 1 days
    If Jesus was resurrected after 48 hours: 2 nights 2 days
    If Jesus was resurrected after 60 hours: 3 nights 2 days
    If Jesus was resurrected after 72 hours: 3 nights 3 days

You will note that none of the above permit 2 nights and 3 days. No matter what date you say Jesus died, and what date you say He was resurrected, it's impossible for Jesus to have been in the Earth for more days than he was in the earth for nights.

That's only possible to conclude if you believe the first 12 hours of a Hebrew calendar day are daytime, and not night time. Hence your conception of time is backwards.

Tiffy likes this.
  18. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Fingers crossed! This issue might be actually understood by someone at last? We shall see.

19. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    ZachT,

re: "'You could argue"..." implies you have not argued."

Sorry for misunderstanding.

re: " I'm saying you could argue those things and still make sense."

I don't know how I could do that.

re: "You cannot argue for more days than nights, because the first 12 hours was an evening. This is why you have your conception of time backwards."

I still don't know what I've written that causes you to say that.

re: "That's only possible to conclude if you believe the first 12 hours of a Hebrew calendar day are daytime..."

I don't and haven't, so I don't understand why you're bringing it up.

20. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Let's all agree that the thread has run its course.

Tiffy and ZachT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.