Primates refuse communion with lgbt-affirming churches

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by anglican74, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    When I was a teenager, I aspired to an insane-sex marriage. ;) But I digress.... :halo:

But on the serious side, we know what's happening when a man, a woman, and a couple of children show up at church, and of course the Bible fully supports procreation and traditional family units. In contrast, when two men (or two women) show up at church, they aren't wearing a sign that says, "We are homosexuals." For all we know, they could be friends, neighbors, or simple roommates sharing the living expenses. They could very easily introduce themselves: "Hi, I'm Jake, and this is my good friend Todd." There is nothing that requires them to announce, "And WE ARE GAY." Doing the latter is 'too much information' and was (until recently) socially unacceptable (for good reason IMO).

So we should ask ourselves, why do gay couples feel compelled to advertise their gayness and toss it in our faces, instead of simply keeping their private issues to themselves? I think the most obvious answer to that question is, they want us to know their private business because they want us to consider homosexual activities as (1) normal, (2) totally acceptable, and (3) morally good acts. In other words, they are coming into our lives and into our churches as crusaders for their cause. Secular society in general lacks a godly moral compass and has no reason not to bow to their demands; but the church is called to speak truth and to resist sin, so the church cannot pretend that certain activities are normal, acceptable, or morally good :no: .... even though the church does show love and compassion toward the individuals. :yes:

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Should have married a Latina chick. . . I'll stop now.

Rexlion and Clayton like this.
  3. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I curse you, iPhone text completion, I curse you!

Rexlion likes this.
  4. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Should have married an older woman... I'll stop now

Rexlion and Shane R like this.
  5. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Global South Primates Reset the Anglican Communion

This is basically a founding document announcing that a change in management has taken place in the Anglican Communion. The African Bishops will now be running the show, de facto if not de jure, and Abp. Welby is basically agreeing to that arrangement. What else can he do? His heart is clearly with the western churches, but he also knows that they are a small (and shrinking) proportion of the whole Communion. He also knows that nobody is listening to him anyway.

As far as the western churches are concerned, the Communion is already broken (and in fact has been for two decades). I hear talk now about a "family" of Anglican churches rather than a Communion*, with the autonomy of each province being absolute. The African churches beg to differ, and seem bent on creating an episcopal structure with super-provincial enforcement authority of canon law.

I remain curious as to what relations between the newly Africa-centric Anglican Communion and GAFCON will be like. I am hoping it will be a fraternal one; there isn't much theological daylight between the two factions, after all. But national and cultural differences may be a spoiler here, as they were in the Eastern Orthodox churches; I hope the African bishops can overcome their tribal and sectarian divisions and come together. I'm sure this will be a hot topic in Kigali next April.

Almost this exact same process is playing out with the Methodists, by the way: now that the UMC divorce is complete, the Global Methodist Church (centered in Africa) is now the central body for Wesleyan Methodism. And in the Roman Catholic world, I'd be willing to bet folding-money that the next RC Pope is going to be African.

*Ironic to say the least, given that these same people have been calling ACNA/GAFCON schismatics for years.

6. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    From the communique linked above (Section 5.8), this is the same argument I've been making all along:

Clayton and Rexlion like this.