Lambeth “fashion”

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Clayton, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I’m watching the Archbishop of Canterbury give the keynote address and I can’t help but notice there’s some interesting fashion choices going on with him and with a lot of episcopal attendees.

Some are obviously variations on local ethnic dress.

But what is he wearing?

Br. Thomas likes this.
  2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A tacky and ill-fitting clerical shirt with a sloppy tab collar that demeans the dignity of the occasion.

3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    It would have been useful to post a picture so we could to what you referred.

Invictus likes this.
  4. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    begging your pardon, here’s a picture.

it’s weirdly oversized and has unusual decorative trim on it. It looks ant an ordinary clerical shirt. It’s like it has been crossed with some sort of club shirt.
    [​IMG]

5. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I think I can hazard a guess what’s going on. A major theme of the conference is “Church of the 21st century” so they’re trying to communicate a forward looking style.

for me it looks confusing and a bit goofy.

6. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I wonder if Archbishop Welby consulted his wife about his choice of shirt. I know my wife has often saved me from sarotial disasters. Perhaps if he had Mrs Welby would have saved the Archbishop on this occasion. I wonder what statement His Grace was trying to make. It seems to me to have failed as there are a number of us, I suspect quite a large number, who have absolutely no idea what that statement was or what was going through his mind when he thought purchasing that shirt was a good idea.