Ancient papyrus fragment refers to Jesus' 'wife'

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Anna Scott, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

2. Anna Scott

Adam Warlock likes this.
  3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I've seen this article mentioned in the news. Yep, another pseudo-epigraphic work that's latched on to by modern unbelievers to bring down Christianity. It's not even that unique, I don't know why people are latching on to it. Isn't there a Gospel of Mary where she's described as wife? Or is it Gospel of Judas? There's a bunch of heretical gnostic writings from 2-3rd centuries that ascribe all kinds of falsehoods to Christ. Meanwhile, of course, we have Christian writings from the 1st and 2nd centuries that never mention such a thing. Which are we to choose, hmmm?

4. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Gnostics LOL

This link is awesome. In fact, the entire blog is awesome.

Gnostic speculation was trendy 4 or 5 years ago. Looks like some clowns just wanted to stir things up again. The News is a joke and is highly anti-Christian. As far as the fragment is concerned, it's just the usual Gnostic drivel that will only be accepted by ultrafringe loons. But the coverage is anti-intellectual, frenzied, and pathetic.

5. Anna Scott

Anglican74,
    You are right.

There are many heretical "gospels" and writings out there. The gnostic gospels contain references to Jesus having a wife and far more scandalous things. So, I don't know why this papyrus is causing such a stir.

Sometimes, I think the shock factor speaks to the fact that many Christians are unaware of the history of Christianity; and the history of the Biblical Canon, which was assembled through the inspiration and guidance of the Holy Spirit. Heresy sprang up quickly, as we know from the New Testament writings. So, this is nothing new.

Also, I think people have trouble separating fact from fiction. I remember all the stir caused by Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code. It was a novel, a work of fiction. Yet, people latched onto it "hook line and sinker."

6. Anna Scott

Adam,
    I know. I love Fr. Jonathan's blog.

You hit the nail on the head---more "gnostic drivel."

7. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Anna Scott likes this.
  8. Anna Scott