Quiz time

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Lowly Layman, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    This was my result:

High Church Evangelical/Evangelical Catholic
    You're virtually liturgically indistinguishable from a Ritualist or Tractarian, but you're always quick to remind people that "High Church does NOT equal Anglo-Catholic." You have no problems with being called a Protestant, but you would prefer being called a reformed catholic. You can list all the ways Luther was still pretty conservative liturgically and know about High Church movements in Lutheranism and the Reformed Tradition. You make a distinction between dominical sacraments and the five other traditional ones, and you also think we need to be doing a LOT more to evangelize by telling people about Jesus. If you're online, you're almost certainly either Michael Curry or have a relationship with Chris Corbin. You have downloaded every work by William Augustus Muhlenberg from Google Books and lament the fact that there is no more recent scholarship on him.

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Said I was a prayer book catholic. Not sure what that is
    You may identify just a bit more closely with a few other labels—Liberal Catholic, Anglo-Catholic, Catholik, Prayer book catholic, maybe even Anglo-Orthodox. You have very strong feelings about the Liturgical Movement and probably think the TEC ‘79 BCP is perfect in just about every way (except it's lack of Marian devotion or a Corpus Christi celebration). You probably only begrudgingly acknowledge the existence of Reformed or Protestant affiliating Anglicans, but you do at least recognize they have SOME claim to the tradition. You see authority primarily located in the early ecumenical councils and probably get very frustrated when every argument can't just be settled with a quote by Dom Gregory Dix.

This is odd because I don't really like the 79 and I picked the 28 BCP

mark fisher likes this.
  4. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Much to my surprise I'm a Puritan, although 380 years ago I'm sure I would have been backing Charles.

5. Anglican Observer

Anglican Observer Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Christianity
    I think I saw this quiz a year or two ago and came out as an Old School Evangelical. Apparently now I am a High Church Evanglical/Evangelical Catholic.

6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    It categorizes me as Old School Evangelical as well, but there were some questions to which I would have preferred a non-available answer and was obliged to compromise. So I don't see the result as being particularly accurate.

Invictus likes this.
  7. Matthew J Taylor

Matthew J Taylor Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Free Church of England
    Puritan does not necessarily mean Parliamentarian or Cromwellite.

Othniel likes this.
  8. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think the quiz leaves a lot to be desired, because it tries to be comprehensive and fails. A simpler 'for-fun' style quiz is probably the only type we would actually be happy with. Some answers seemed to me to be virtually indistinguishable (especially frustrating when I agreed with them both and didn't know which one to choose). Some answers were missing, which was more frustrating. It seemed like every time there was a "I don't care" option I had an answer, and every time I was like "Does this even matter?" there was no skip answer.

All that being said, this was my result:

Probably fair given I do attend an Anglo-Catholic parish and would probably describe myself as Anglo-Catholic, but I have no idea what is in TEC's '79 BCP.

Invictus likes this.
  9. Niblo

Niblo Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    Here's mine:

Anglo-Papalist.

You put Catholic in Anglo-Catholic to such a degree that you may just drop the Anglo all together. You make no bones about letting people know that you see Anglicanism as a stopgap measure and think Rome is right about EVERYTHING (except, just spitballing here, probably either LGBTQ+ treatment or women's ordination). There's no via media about you—you're a Roman Catholic in every way, except, you know, any way recognized by Roman Catholics. You go to or have been to or want to go to an Anglican Church that uses the Mass of Pope John XXIII.

Not bad for a Muslim. :)

Tiffy likes this.
  10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Amazed to find I'm middle of the road, likely to get run over from in front or behind.

Broad Church
    You come from the tradition descended from the Latitudinarians and then F.D. Maurice, although owing to the success of their work you probably don't know who they are and have never read any of tlit. You regularly tell people to stop getting so dogmatic about things and wonder why we can't just be content with what the liturgy in the Book of Common Prayer says (even though you probably use some kind of authorized alternative service book). You have almost certainly used the phrases "praying shapes believing," “via media," or "big tent" to describe your theology without any further explanation. You think Advent should be blue because it is a color of hope rather than penitence and you lust after church in the round set-ups. You've made copious use of the New Zealand Prayerbook even if, or maybe especially if, you’re not from New Zealand.

Although I've NEVER used any of those phrases, and it thinks I'm probably an American because Common Worship wasn't even offered as an option and the parish church never talked about at all. Definitely true though that I regularly tell people not to be so dogmatic about things.

I think I must just be too oddball for this quiz to pidgeonhole me. In spite of having been one for 76 years now, I am now wondering if I'm an Anglican at all. :laugh: I'm just Church of England. (In the armed forces if anyone didn't know what religion they were and couldn't choose one they always got put down as C of E. :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I think you may have cheated. :laugh:

Niblo likes this.
  12. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    "there was more intellectual power wasted in Maurice than in any other of my contemporaries" ~ J.S. Mill on F.D. Maurice.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of him though. That's who I reluctantly put down as my representative thinker, but it still put me Prayer Book Catholic anyway.

13. Niblo

Niblo Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    Moi???

Convert from Welsh Baptist to CC, and once accused - by my Catholic friends - of being more Catholic than the Pope!

The quiz findings reminded me of the priest who baptised me. He later became PP of the parish of Idle, near Bradford- and was known as the Idle Priest. He once referred to Anglican clergy as 'Jumped up choirboys!' I have to confess that I agreed with him. :o

14. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Plenty of our clergy are essentially jumped up choirboys, but hey we get some ripper music out of it.

Niblo likes this.
  15. Niblo

Niblo Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    Nice one! :clap:

16. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Prayer Book Catholic

I thought the color one was better.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  17. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I was a little ignorant of some of the answers, but answered as best I could. I'm:

Old High Church/Laudian
    You don't understand why people keep using "High and Dry" as an insult. You have very strong feelings about Puritans, Papists, and North End Celebration. You think Anglicans should focus on the Beauty of Holiness in worship, but please let's not go overboard with Papist innovations. You very well may own a copy of The Durham Book. You could care less about dalmatics but have very strong opinions about copes and altar railings. You really don't like Evangelicals (they're really just Puritans) but will put your differences aside if it means owning the Latitudinarians or Liberals. You're likely an outspoken monarchist to a point where your friends are uncomfortable, but you also think the monarch should be subject to the Archbishop of Canterbury. You have written multiple resolutions trying to get Charles I recognized officially on the Kalendar of your Church.

Amusing, certainly.

18. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well.

Old High Church/Laudian
    You don't understand why people keep using "High and Dry" as an insult. You have very strong feelings about Puritans, Papists, and North End Celebration. You think Anglicans should focus on the Beauty of Holiness in worship, but please let's not go overboard with Papist innovations. You very well may own a copy of The Durham Book. You could care less about dalmatics but have very strong opinions about copes and altar railings. You really don't like Evangelicals (they're really just Puritans) but will put your differences aside if it means owning the Latitudinarians or Liberals. You're likely an outspoken monarchist to a point where your friends are uncomfortable, but you also think the monarch should be subject to the Archbishop of Canterbury. You have written multiple resolutions trying to get Charles I recognized officially on the Kalendar of your Church.​

Sadly I think this missed me quite a bit, I think the whole area is far more nuanced than this quiz supposes.

Rexlion likes this.
  19. mark fisher

mark fisher Member Anglican

canada
    Religion:
    high church anglican
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  20. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    "Old School Evangelical"
    You have non-ironically lamented the lack of Real Christianity and remind as many people as possible that "Anglicans actually invented evangelicalism." You see yourself in the tradition of Whitefield, Newton, Wilberforce, Simeon, and maybe grudgingly the Wesleys. You're less concerned about the distinction between Arminianism and Calvinism than you are about salvation by grace and growth in holiness. You may call yourself a moderate Calvinist if push came to shove, but you'd prefer to just refer to yourself as in line with the whole of the Protestant Reformation. You respect the role of formal liturgy and the sacraments in the corporate life of the Church, and think the Book of Common Prayer is the ideal liturgy for such expressions, but prefer to do extemporaneous personal or family devotions at home. You almost certainly have a favorite hymn from Charles Wesley or William Cowper and have felt it your duty to distance yourself from contemporary manifestations of evangelicalism.

------------
    I thought for sure I'd come up "puritan", but I probably got docked for choosing John Stott over John Owen.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2022