What are your thoughts about extraterrestrials?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Scottish Monk, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    This evening I was looking around the website of a small church in La Vista, Nebraska, located six miles from the Iowa border. In the Index to Scripture Notes section, I noticed an entry for Extraterrestrials. The website used the NKJV for the following references. I have given alternate translations for each reference.

Mankind descends from Eve
    And Adam called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living (Genesis 3:20; KJV).
    Adam named his wife Eve, because she would become the mother of all the living (Genesis 3:20; NIV 1984).
    The man named his wife Eve, because she was the mother of all who live (Genesis 3:20; NRSV).
    The man called his wife's name Eve, because she was the mother of all living (Genesis 3:20; ESV).
    Then the man--Adam--names his wife Eve, because she would be the mother of all who live (Genesis 3:20; NLT 2007).

Mankind is relegated to Earth
    The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord's:
    but the earth hath he given to the children of men (Psalm 115:16; KJV).​
    The highest heavens belong to the Lord,
    but the earth he has given to man (Psalm 115:16; NIV 1984).​
    The heavens are the Lord's heavens,
    but the earth he has given to human beings (Psalm 115:16; NRSV).​
    The heavens are the Lord's heavens,
    but the earth he has given to the children of man (Psalm 115:16; ESV).​
    The heavens belong to the Lord,
    but he has given the earth to all humanity (Psalm 115:16; NLT 2007).​

How about you--what are your thoughts about extraterrestrials?

...Scottish Monk

Toma likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thank you for the interesting thread, Scottish Monk. You really put the most stimulating topics out! :)

I think it is very interesting that the only planets we have been able to detect outside our solar system share two crucial characteristics:

1. They are gas-giants; so, intelligent terrestrial life, as we know it, is impossible in their environ.
    2. They are so far away that it would take several years to reach the closest ones at half the speed of light.

Even if aliens could somehow get to us, we have no means of getting to them. The fastest speed which an unmanned human vehicle has been able to maintain was Mach 9, by the experimental NASA X-43A, which held that speed 10 seconds before breaking up.

Mach 9: 6 000 miles per hour, or 10 000 kilometres per hour.
    The speed at which light travels in a vacuum: 670 000 000 mph, or 1 080 000 000 kph
    Assuming that humanity could travel at the speed of light, getting to the closest star would be more than four years' journeying. Barnard's Star is 5 light years away, and Wolf 359 is 7 light years away. Considering the fact that material beings attempting to travel at that speed would theoretically experience a warped flow of time, it is conjectured that many more years would actually pass outside the actual chronology experienced by the travelers.

It is quite clear, to me, that God didn't intend us to travel too far beyond the boundaries of our own system. Perhaps it's in His plans after all, and we have many thousands of years to wait for Christ. Either way, we must overcome the crucial problem of distance, and the very important fact that human bodies, living without gravity, deteriorate without notice in a matter of days, unless constant exercise is kept up.

As to the extra-terrestrial intelligent life itself, only man is said to have a soul; yet, angels are technically extra-terrestrial, outside the earth, and they live and move and have their rational being in God. Angels are aliens, for all intents and purposes. :) If you mean simply material beings, there is the interesting fact that in Mark 16, Christ tells His disciples to preach the Gospel to "all creatures", not just all men. :o

Scottish Monk likes this.
  3. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Scottish Monk likes this.
  4. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Scottish Monk,
    I really have no idea, but I love watching the shows about ancient aliens/astronaut aliens just to see this guy. He is very entertaining. lol.

[​IMG]

Scottish Monk and Adam Warlock like this.
  5. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    I believe extraterrestrials maybe from other planets or right here from Earth but from either the future or parallel dimensions

6. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    He is funny. I like his hair, at the beginning of the series his hair is always flat and looks well groomed but towards the end it ends up like the picture here. :D

Adam Warlock likes this.
  7. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    I do not believe or acknowledge any other life than what is on Planet Earth, since the Holy Bible mentions nothing about visitors from other planets, I believe the Devil uses UFO stuff to deceive others into turning away from Jesus and the Gospel

Old Christendom likes this.
  8. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah I don't really have a lot of faith in the existence of extra-terrestrial life at the moment, and yeah I'm aware of the math involved, but the argument is circumstantial at best and just isn't strong enough.

Old Christendom likes this.
  9. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    There are no extraterrestrials.

At best, some abduction experiences or UFO sightings can be attributed to demonic activity, if not merely human.