Three Days and Three Nights in Matthew 12:40

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by rstrats, Jul 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Just musing on how patiently you have been waiting for a 'bite' all this time, but the fish just arn't rising to the bait.

Invictus likes this.
  2. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    Are you suggesting that there are fish here who believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of a resurrection who try to explain the missing night time by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech of the period but for some reason decline to provide any examples to support their belief?

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I wouldn't know, but you don't seem to be getting a nibble, do you. Perhaps there are no fish in that particular pond. :laugh: Your worm is drowned.

Invictus likes this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
    --The Wizard of Oz

In this situation, I think Tiffy is that man. ;)

5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    He didn't understand. I just explained it to him. He still has a drowned worm on his fishing hook and no bites. :laugh:

6. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

7. Extra Nos 84

Extra Nos 84 New Member

France
    Religion:
    Reformed

Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, tenth in the generations of Ezra said: "A day and a night are an Onah ['a portion of time'] and the portion of an Onah is like the whole" [J.Talmud, Shabbat 9.3 and b.Talmud, Pesahim 4a].

At first glance, this does seem to be the case. That is, the expression "three days and three nights" is seen to reflect the conception that death is permanent only after a body has shown no signs of animation for a period of three days, the idea being that until that time had elapsed, the soul was conceived as still lingering near the individual, encouraging the hope of revival. There are references to this idea in rabbinical literature,4 though it is actually much older, antedating the hellenistic era. E. Freistedt finds evidence for it not only in the Persian Vendidad (19, 90 ff.), which he dates to the 4th century B.C., but also possibly (though not as explicitly) presupposed in Homer's Iliad, which could well mean it goes back to the beginning of the first millennium B.C., if not earlier. In the NT such a conception seems to underlie Martha's comment to Jesus that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days (John 11 39; cf. vs. 17), the implication being that Lazarus' revival was deemed totally out of the question. Moreover, on the basis of the Matthean citation of Jonah 2 1 and its application to Jesus' resurrection, it would appear that within NT tradition the two numerical phrases used to designate the time between Jesus' death and his resurrection (most commonly "on the third day," cf. Matt. 16 21, Luke 9 22, Matt 17 23, 20 19, Luke 18 33, 24 7, 21, I Cor 15 4; but typically in Mark "after three days, cf. 8 31, 9 31, 10 34, though note Matt 27 63) had fallen together in meaning with the Jonah phrase "three days and three nights. [Landes, G. M. (1967). The “Three Days and Three Nights” Motif in Jonah 2:1. Journal of Biblical Literature, 86(4), 446–450. https://doi.org/10.2307/3262800]

8. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    For us, Gentile peoples, it is very hard to work with Jewish Calendar. According to Jewish traditions and according to the Bible, the day begins and ends at sunset. That's why we always have night first and then day. Genesis 1:5-8 13,19,23,31. Jesus was placed in the tomb in the late afternoon, that is, at sunset.

According to the Jewish system regarding the days of the week, Thursday (fifth day of the week)-ends at 6pm-sunset- and then the 6th day begins-Friday- thus begins the 1st night that will end 12 hours later, at 6am-Friday still. But the full day of Friday (24hs) will end at 6pm (here starts a new day, next day: Sabbath day(one night and one day of Friday as a whole (24hs) is completed). JESUS was crucified at the ninth hour of Friday .(again: one day and one night, at still Friday).

Friday ends at 6 pm-at sunset-a new day begins, beginning of Sabbath day- so starts the 2nd night that ends at 6 am- still Sabbath. Sabbath full day will end at 6pm (thus two nights and two days - Sabbath still).
    The Jews used the lunar calendar and according to the Mosaic law Exodus 12:6-16, Leviticus 23:5-7 and Deuteronomy 16:6, the Passover feast was celebrated on the 14th of Abib or Nisam, always the afternoon, the following day corresponded to the full moon, because in the Hebrew calendar it began with the new moon.

Matthew 28:v.1-6
    1 In the END of the sabbath (at 6pm - sunset), as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week(6pm still Sabbath day, and beginning of the night (third night) of the first day -Sunday- that will end 12 hours later, at 6am-Sunday still), came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
    2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
    5 And the angel ... said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
    6 He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

The first day that started at sunset of sabbath (at 6pm) end at the sunset of the first day-Sanday- at 6pm

IN SUMMARY
    JESUS was in the sepulchre a night of Friday-first night-whose day will end at sunset-at 6pm - still day of Friday ;
    and was in the sepulchre a night of Sabbath; second night-whose day will end at sunset-at 6pm - still day of Sabbath;
    and was in the sepulchre even at the beginning of the night of Sunday - as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, whose day of Sunday will end at the sunset-at 6pm-that is still the third day.
    https://purebibleforum.com/index.ph...xactly-240-years-in-the-jewish-calendar.2354/

9. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    Oseas,
    re: "According to the Jewish system regarding the days of the week, Thursday (fifth day of the week)-ends at 6pm-sunset- and then the 6th day begins-Friday- thus begins the 1st night..."

The 1st night of what? It can't be the 1st night of the Messiah's time in the tomb since the night had been over some 9 hours by the time of His death.

re: "JESUS was crucified at the ninth hour of Friday."

Actually, Mark 15:23 says it was the third hour.

10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  11. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
  12. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    The subject is not about the moment of crucifixion, but about the burial of the body of Jesus.

Matthew 27:v.45 to 56.

13. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    I don't understand the relevance of that comment with regard to my question.

14. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    [QUOTE="Oseas, post: 54931, member: 6010

Matthew 27:v.45 to 56.[/QUOTE]

I don't see your point.

15. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't see your point.[/QUOTE]

My point is about the topic: "three-days-and-three-nights-in-matthew-12-40". My post #88

16. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    [QUOTE="Oseas, post: 55002, member: 6010
    My point is about the topic: "three-days-and-three-nights-in-matthew-12-40". My post #88[/QUOTE]

See post #29.

17. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    See post #29.[/QUOTE]

What prevails is the Word of GOD, the Word is GOD - Ah great mystery- do you understand? THE WORD IS GOD. GREAT MYSTERY. | Pure Bible Forum (and see www.sinaiticus.net )

Presumptions and speculations, conjectures, imaginations, opinions, they mean nothing and are good for nothing, that's exactly the way the Devil likes, your thinking is from a human perspective, not from God's perspective.

18. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    your thinking is from a human perspective[/QUOTE]

Exactly to what perspective are you referring?

19. Oseas

Oseas Member

BRAZIL
    Religion:
    Christian
    Exactly to what perspective are you referring?[/QUOTE]

As I have highlighted, what prevails is the Word of GOD. The Word is GOD, not only mere letters, as you (maybe) think, your thinking about cross is from a human (even devilish/satanic) perspective, not from GOD's perspective.

What perspective am'I referring? Matthew 16:v.19 to 23: My Lord JESUS said:

19 I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. (heaven has nothing to do with the physical space of the Universe, the SKY. BY THE WAY, in what heaven are you / we, based in Ephesians 1:v.3 and Philippians 3:v.20-21?)

20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was JESUS the Christ.

21 From that time forth began JESUS to shew unto His disciples, how that He must go unto Jerusalem,
    and SUFFER MANY THINGS of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be KILLED, and be raised again the third day.

22 THEN PETER TOOK Him aside, and began to rebuke JESUS, saying: Be it far from thee, LORD: this shall not be unto thee.

23 But JESUS turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence (a stumblingblock, an obstacle) unto me (in my path): because your thinking is from a human perspective, not from God’s perspective!- CJB” -
    "for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men". KJV

If we receive the witness of MEN, the witness of GOD is greater. He that believeth on the Son of GOD (as the Scriptures say) hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not GOD (the witness of GOD is greater). hath made Him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of His Son.

John 17:v.1 to 9

1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up His eyes to heaven (where GOD was and is-Isaiah 40v.21-22), and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2 As thou hast given Him power over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given Him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

6 I have manifested thy NAME (whats's NAME?) unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world (out of the satanic world of Devil with its devilish religions like the false Chritianity, and Islamism-Islamic militancy or fundamentalism- and JUDAISM, the esoteric, and kabbalistic, and SPIRITIST Judaism, among countless others): thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy Word.

7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.

8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  20. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA

As I have highlighted, what prevails is the Word of GOD. The Word is GOD, not only mere letters, as you (maybe) think, your thinking about cross is from a human (even devilish/satanic) perspective, not from GOD's perspective.
    [/QUOTE]

I don't understand. To what thinking about cross are you referring? And what does it have to do with this topic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.