Reformed Church?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by CRfromQld, May 7, 2022.

1. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    What is the reformed Church? I see it mentioned but don't know what it is. I wonder if I don't know because it is not in Australia?

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are two senses in which this term is commonly used. One is to refer generally to the school of thought which typified the Swiss Reformation and the stream of Protestantism which derived from it. Then, there are various denominations which have used that name to signify something about themselves. For further insight: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Communion_of_Reformed_Churches

Invictus likes this.
  3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Where I live, more often than not, it’s used as a descriptor for congregations that aren’t actually Reformed (“Reformed” Baptists, for example).

Carolinian likes this.
  4. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I understand it to refer to the churches of Classical Protestantism. It means the Church reformed after the Reformation. As those churches that followed the Church of England came to be called Anglican and those which followed Martin Luther acquired the name Lutheran, it became more limited to the Calvinistic churches. Many of these are what the British would call Presbyterian churches.

Othniel likes this.
  5. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    It depends. There is the historic Dutch Reformed denomination (strict Calvinists), and various offshoots of that in America. But many churches (especially these days) describe themselves as "reformed", i.e., as products of the Protestant Reformation. Reformation Anglicanism is like that. You could also describe many Presbyterians as having a reformed theology.

In modern times "reformed" generally means protestant, evangelical, and (sometimes) (more or less) Calvinist in theology.

Extra Nos 84 likes this.
  6. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
  7. Extra Nos 84

Extra Nos 84 New Member

France
    Religion:
    Reformed
    I saw you have been given already satisfactory answers. I would like just to add that those of us who call ourselves reformed, even among evangelicals ( I use evangelical as broad term for protestants), we do it to make clear that we are calvinists.

Othniel and CRfromQld like this.