A new Roman Catholic denomination has opened up in India

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Stalwart, Nov 30, 2021.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
  2. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Wow:

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's difficult to call one chapel a denomination. I would expect the next step to be the priest who leads this community to seek episcopal consecration; and that is not hard to find. Clearly the bishop of the area expects this community to attempt to expand. Time will tell if they've got any momentum.

The alternative route is for them to join an existing Anglican or Old Catholic organization.

4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The independent sacramental movement (as many refer to themselves) is an interesting bunch of theological misfits (and I many cases heretics). The podcast gives a great survey of the movements many tiny jurisdictions. The show is hosted by the leader of the Young Rite, which appears to be an offshoot of the Liberal Catholic Church. He interviews clergy from different churches on a number of topics.

https://sacramentalwhine.libsyn.com/

Invictus and Shane R like this.
  5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Agreed, though for now they have two. I think we are about to have a GAFCON sponsored Church in Australia which will likely have more.

Shane R likes this.
  6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The RCC has a problem with any other churches calling themselves "Catholic," obviously. It isn't as though this upstart called itself "Roman Catholic" in a blatant attempt to deceive, though.

7. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We won;t throw stones at them for that!

8. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Can you explain that more

9. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
  10. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Looks good on the GAFCON part if there will be no WO ordination and they don’t let Sydney dominate them. In fact I don’t think Sydney is Anglican in any meaningful way

11. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    It should be noted that the Romans don’t recognize the Independent Catholic Church of Brazil’s orders

12. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well -- they're just one RC denomination amongst many. That was the whole point of this thread. There should have never been this myth that there is just one RC denomination.

The only way they kept themselves to being one in the middle ages, is they killed all the others. Literally called the crusades on rival denominations in Europe, and killed down to the last member.

In more civilized times, they're unable to do that, so there are hundreds of RC denominations around the world.

Rexlion likes this.
  13. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am not sure that is correct. I think they are considered valid but irregular. Certainly that is what I have been told. There seems to be ample conversation between them, at least in the town where I live.

14. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Are you referring to the Albenisian Crusade?

15. Distraught Cat

Distraught Cat Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think he might have meant the unpleasantness with the Hussites.

16. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yep. All those and more. The sack of Constantinople as part of the crusades as well. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia. Mostly unreliable nowadays, but serviceable on this question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Distraught Cat likes this.
  17. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    They were a highly heretical sect and arguably not Christian. I am highly familiar with the travesty of the fourth crusade but know of no crusade against a rival catholic church

18. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    There were quite a few of them, actually.

Rexlion likes this.
  19. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Not my point. My point is that they were rival Christianities vying for the loyalties of Frenchmen. There were competing Christianities in the Middle Ages even in France of all places. (And in other places all over Europe, as evidenced in my wiki quote).

Were they traditionally medieval? No. Would I support them? Certainly not. But the point is, if this were today, the RCs would be unable to exterminate them. Both denominations would have to compete for adherents using peaceful methods like persuasion and apologetics, like two Protestant groups.

But because the RCs had the right to simply kill everyone who wasn’t them, that’s how there became only “one” Roman Catholic Church in the Middle Ages. Not because the people were just inherently more loyal to the Popes and to Transubstantiation. But because if you you opposed those things, you would be executed. Or the inquisition would come a-knocking.

Now that the power of persecution has been taken out of their hands, they have to compete on the basis of persuasion and apologetics. And they often fail, as evidenced by hundreds of competing RC denominations. Namely that the RCs are no different from anyone else. The mystique they put on is just a spell.

Rexlion and Invictus like this.
  20. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I wonder given the context of this discussion if you would understand the Norman Invasion of England in 1066 in a similar way? Given that William carried out his Invasion with Otto Bishop of Bayeux and carrying the Pope's Banners. Stigand, Archbishop of Canterbury, died of starvation whilst under arrest, and the English Bishops were deposed or met their demise to be replaced by Normans and Italians.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    Stalwart likes this.