Who is going to see Dune this weekend?

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Stalwart, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm a big fan of all epic storytelling: Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, etc. The previous film version of Dune have left me underwhelmed, but it seems like the new version directed by Denis Villeneuve will give it the epic scope and ambitious scale that we need today to return to epic storytelling. Also importantly, he seems to have protected the film from woke ideologies -- that is almost miraculous since those ideologies are irresistible and have destroyed so many movie franchises in recent years. Thus we may be getting Frank Herbert's true and authentic vision. And potentially even bigger and with more epic scope than previous iterations. Will be seeing it later today, if you're going let me know!

Here is the trailer for those who did not know:

Invictus likes this.
  2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I’m eager to read the forthcoming reviews!

3. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Well it was spectacular. One of the most visually beautiful films ever made I think. The acting, the fidelity to the story, the vast sweep, it was all there.

I was never a huge diehard fan of the original Dune novels, because its themes of messianism, colonialism, aren’t as noble and refined as the themes contained within Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars. But the movie still almost reached those heights through the absolutely incredible visual storytelling.

5E776EE1-9D0B-4C94-BE76-8AEEDC4DE473.jpeg 311BF72B-C1AF-493B-ABEF-750C80E30723.jpeg 02F13F82-04F6-41D5-B1F7-62A39D3AD228.jpeg B755CE36-630F-4309-B089-878EE2496C95.jpeg C2C2BB99-B105-4074-B9F1-BE6BDA4C5FBA.jpeg

Invictus likes this.
  4. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    I loved the books so much that I am not sure I would enjoy the movie, but I might see it when it comes to a streaming service.

Invictus likes this.
  5. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    I saw it over the weekend. Loved the cinemtography for sure. But they cut out a lot, which saddened me probably due to the length of the book. Obviously there is going to be a sequel and possibly more.
    I really liked the mini series version that the Sci-Fi network did about 20 years ago. It did get most of the book on to screen as opposed to this version or the one done back in the 1980's
    I did notice that Brian Herbert, the authors son was one of the producers. Wondering if this is going to turn into a long series as Brian Herbert has co-wrote several Dune novels

Invictus and Stalwart like this.
  6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    i trust the Geeks & Gamers youtube channel, and they made this review of it which means I'll be going to see it next weekend

Invictus likes this.
  7. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think it was released through one of the streaming services concurrently with the theatrical release.

8. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I watched it at home. Thought it was great. Much better than the original. I certainly they get the second installment out soon.

Invictus likes this.
  9. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I realized that I didn't post my impressions.

What can I say, it was as epic as I was hoping. Hollywood movies haven't looked this good in many, many years, almost as if they'd never look this good anymore. Yet here we are, in 2021, and the magic of movies and storytelling is as powerful as ever.

Highly recommended.

Invictus and Lowly Layman like this.